HELP! Any stress busting ideas out there?

Old 03-23-2005, 11:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

HELP! Any stress busting ideas out there?

I NEED to get my stress level down. I'm one of those people who, when under great stress, become physically ill. When my father died, my gall bladder decided it hated me. My mother's death brought on an ulcer. Lower levels of stress have allowed other physical things to creep in.

So here I am, now, it's kidney infection. Not that big of deal, but my doc knows me well...first thing asked was..."so, what's going on in your life that you're immunity is falling?" The good news is my blood pressure is unaffected, which always amuses the doc. I think she always expects it to be elevated and instead, it's always perfect. hahaha

Some things I can't change right now:

1. Work will always be work. I am a one person dept, some days are better than others, it's just the nature of the biz.
2. The dental work (and all it's demands). I'm in the middle of this, can't and don't want to stop now.

On top of the "regular" stuff, there's:

1. The ABF that doesn't want to leave.
2. Tues morn at 3 am a friend called, desperate for a ride. Seems their car had been towed and they had ... are you ready?...ten thousand dollars!!! in their trunk! The stupidity of withdrawing their savings and putting it their trunk floored me. Yeah, they had a story, but...! Slept little.
3. Little stuff that seems larger...just because of the other stuff...does that make sense?

So far I have said "no" to every request of me that isn't an absolute necessity or something I am just dying to do. I have a 3 day weekend coming up, I bought 3 new books and have told everyone to simply leave me alone this weekend so I can recharge my batteries. Have new haircolor standing by, to get rid of the "drabs". Am taking my vitamins. Attended my regular meeting this week. Praying as always. Walking an hour a day. But I still have this overwhelming sense of there's-too-much-to-do-and-not-enough-time-to-do-it.

I'm open to suggestions. I need some ideas to calm things down a bit, or maybe just some reassurance that my planned weekend escape is a good plan.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

the book reading & recharging sound like just what you need. i know i am feeling the same way. i don't get ill - i get in my isolation mode and that is just what i DON'T
need. i wish you peace and serenity this long weekend.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

WTL

My very favorite thing is to go to a movie, I don't know I just love it!!! Haircolor GOOD! Manicure, facial, massage, I don't know if they do this where you are, but here you can get these services done by supervised students at the Cosmetology schools for a really good price.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Meditation. Jack Kornfield has really good CDs on how to learn to meditate...
Old 03-23-2005, 02:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Phone off the hook and answering machine muted...
Books are great...
Window shopping...
Plan a trip/vacation/holiday...
Bubble baths...
Chocolate... desserts is stressed spelled backwards.
Give yourself a present :present:
Do only what you "have" to do... if the laundry/dishes/dusting/whatever doesn't get done, what's the worst that can happen? It will still be there waiting for you unless the laundry/dishes/dusting/whatever fairies stop by.
My daughter tells me that her children sometimes mistake her for the maid, but that the maid has their whole lifetimes off.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Exercise usually works for me, although I try not to get no the treadmill since I find it boring and my mind tends to drift to the things I was trying to forget... An "aerobics" or dance class should be good... keeps the mind occupied and the body moving.

Snowboarding/skiing/rollerblading/biking... you expend a lot of energy, plus you can people watch! There's a lot of good snow on Mt Baldy (Pomona/Claremont) this weekend.

Since you live near amusement parks, how about a trip to one of them? Good places to escape into a fantasy land for a while. I think Disneyland reduces their prices in the evenings.

Comedy clubs... laughter will help.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

Put clean sheets on your bed and fluff your pillows, that makes me feel like I am in a hotel on vacation!
I am having that kind of afternoon also, so I feel ya!
Old 03-23-2005, 04:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Find some thing very beautiful to look at...the view, a puppy, a person, sunset, moon shining, anything..focus on it, breath it in slowly, pull all of its energy into you as though you selfishly deserve it.......there you go, good as new, takes a couple of minutes, works for me!
Old 03-23-2005, 04:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

some help

[QUOTE=walkingtheline]I NEED to get my stress level down.

I know this might sound crazy, but after you have gotten some sleep and done some of the things for yourself (reading, walking, etc.) do something for another. And I'm not talking about one of your addicted friend(s), but really pray for someone to help and do some service for them. It doesn't have to be huge, maybe send a card or drop by cookies - just something thoughtful. I know I am so sick and tired of focussing on my "AH" and my own co-dependancy recovery that I to am suffering some physical problems (i.e, disorientation, time perception problems, short term memory loss, foggy brain, loss of appetite (but no weight loss - go figure). Anyway I know you have to take care of yourself, but doing something for another works I promise.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.

Great suggestions. I took a long nap after work, kept the tv off all night and simply read and took a loooooooooong bubble bath. The world is a little less hectic feeling now.

Thanks for being there.

Old 03-24-2005, 12:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Just read this the other day...

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

To much, not enough time, seems there is no light at the end of the tunnel?
Small steps, small bites. Things will get done when they get done.

You have a great list there of things to do.
Good job on taking care of the important stuff... Yourself.