Feeling a little low and helpless

Old 08-28-2002, 04:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Feeling a little low and helpless

Well hello everyone

I get my great neice tomorrow and we are all really excited about her coming for the visit. She is registered for school, we have most of her school supplies and she can't wait to be here.

The sad thing is that the plans for the other child fell through. She thought my sisters ex and wife would take him (he is an extremely active child and I think he may have a slight learning disability) and they can't take him. My nephews GF says she can't take him to her mothers/step fathers where she was going to stay so they are thinking about foster care. This is breaking my heart.

I know I can't take another child in but foster care for him is making crazy stories go through my mind. Maybe I watch too much tv and perhaps I only see the bad stories about the bad foster parents but the whole thing is so scarey and I feel so helpless. This poor little boy....it just makes me cry.

Thanks for listening and letting me vent.

Many hugs.
Love,
Debbie
Old 08-28-2002, 04:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Debbie...

I knew a couple who were always taking kids in for foster care. He was a fireman and she was a bookkeeper. I can't say they weren't quirky, but they were good and kind and loving. Remember that you are your great neices foster care. The fact that you are related and familiar is wonderful, but most of the people who take foster kids are not the horror stories you hear about. There is no reason your family can't keep tabs on this boy if he winds up in a foster home. Please don't make yourself sick over this. Nothing bad has happened yet.

Hugs,
Smoke
Old 08-28-2002, 05:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Barbiedeb

You are doing your part in this to help, and if it is only for a month then it should all work itself out. Like Smoke said, don't worry so much about what may never happen.

I, too, know lots of loving and caring foster parents. My son is our foster son. We never did anything official because he was already a teenager, but he not only moved into our home but into our hearts. And you know how much we love him. And, inspite of all we have been through, I wouldn't trade him for any other child.

Trust that a Higher Power is looking after this boy, as well as each of us. We are all in good Hands.
Old 08-28-2002, 05:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Hi Ladies

I guess I am worrying before there is anything to worry about. I just wish I could take him too. I hope if this does happen, it is a kind, loving family that he gets to be with. I am not sure how much checking up his mother will do, she is a bit of an "actress" around me.

I suppose I will just keep focusing on getting my neice and having tons of fun with her. She's been calling every day, she can't wait to get here!! And her and the dogs get along famously (I was a little worried about that).

Thanks for helping me see a little clearer, I do appreciate it.

Many hugs.
Love,
Debbie
Old 08-28-2002, 05:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Debbie,

Kids are amazing and can deal with so much. My son in law never knew his father and his mother died when he was 11. He went out and found someone to take care of him on his own. He is a wonderful person who is responsible, a wonderful husband and father etc....These life experiences help develop our character and give us gifts that we will need in the future. His HP knows what he will need and will arrange his circumstances.

Turn it over and trust.

Hugs,
MG

Old 08-28-2002, 06:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Barbiedeb - I know how you feel as two of my nephews were taken into foster care when they were little more than babies. The government intervened and took them away from my brother and his girlfried because of their drug and alcohol problems. Our family was devastated, especially my parents (they were sent to a foster home on a reservation in Alberta because of their mothers status), but they are being raised in a wonderful, loving home and getting the life that they deserve instead of the one they might have had, thank God. It is the nature of the press to usually only tell about the bad, never the good, and 99.9% of foster parents are kind and loving people who do not see the difference between their foster child(ren) and their own. I know that this is a hard time for your family right now, but we'll all say a prayer that this family will be united again very soon.

Have fun with your neice. I wish I had had an aunt like you when I was growing up!

Love and hugs
Old 08-28-2002, 08:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

Barbie Deb.............. : )
My daughter "almost" fiance was a foster child.....he eventualy was adopted by the people who took him in.... he has nothing to say but good things about his family...not that(adoption)will happen to that child. Also a person I know does foster care work and they are good people also, they take crack babies in. It would be sad to see him have to go into care and I understand your feelings...but it is better than the streets. I am sure a close eye will be able to be kept on him.
You are doing your best for the little girl, don't take on more than you can handle...Kids as cute as they are,can wear you d o w n and fast. Daily care is NOT the same as a visit.
Pat your self on the back ...you are doing a a gracious and loving gesture towards a need child.............
Love Kitty
Old 08-29-2002, 12:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Grace Under Fire

Barbiedeb,
Maybe someone else will come through
before this might happen! My prayers
are with this little boy and your
family, you are a angel. Have fun
tomorrow with your niece, and try not
to worry. We'll do a group prayer
and I bet this all works out.

Hugs,
Old 08-29-2002, 03:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Did I ever mention to you all just how much I love you!!

You are all the best!! Thanks for calming my fears. I know things happen for a reason and I will just wait and see what happens and realize the reason Does that make sense?

Thanks again.

Many hugs.
Love,
Debbie

Old 08-29-2002, 03:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Barbiedeb

Have a GREAT day!!!!