New to the site and posting

Old 03-21-2005, 01:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to the site and posting

I am new to this site, but after a bit of reading and browsing, I think I am going to gain much more info into being a girlfriend/partner to one in recovery - especially after searching for any books on the subject. My BF is 2+ years in recovery ( AA and NA), also in the process of taking boards for CADAC, so quite educated in most aspects of treatment and recovery.
He/We seem to have hit a bit of a rough patch, in that he has asked to take a break to refocus his energies, and redouble his efforts in recovery. My initial reaction - the brain part of me - understands, that his #1 focus MUST be his recovery. The heart part of me is unsure of what to do, how to be supportive, and what to focus on for myself. Any and all help or feedback, or similar situations is greatly welcomed, and appreciated.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Hi partner,
My husband and I met in much the same way. I found out the hard way that not being involved in my own recovery, such as Al-Anon, will undermine the recovery of the other person. Without the tools to deal with an alcoholic loved one, either recovering or not, I am going to run into A LOT of rough patches. Getting involved in and understanding my need for working a recovery program helps me to support instead of hurt someone else's recovery, as well as my own. That is just my experience.

Today, MY recovery is MY number one priority, above all. For me, it's the only way for things to work serenely. Hugs, Magic
Old 03-23-2005, 06:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I wouldn't have had such understanding without this site. Just knowing I was not the only one with such a battle help me through. So far things have been easy. I am sure that the war is not over. I will win little battles to win the war!
Old 03-24-2005, 04:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Barely There

Hi partner

What Magic has to say is right. How I wish my AH would have seeked help - but focussing on my own recovery has been a wonderful and empowering thing for me.

Good luck to you both - and good luck with your own journey!

Aud.