Withdrawal symptoms?

Old 03-11-2005, 07:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawal symptoms?

A quick question, more curiousity than anything. My AH started the South Beach Diet on Monday. (why this, instead of sobriety, is beyond me, although he definitely does need to lose weight). For Phase 1 you can't have any alcohol for 2 weeks (no sugars). Then you can slowly phase it in but not a lot and they recommend red wine. AH claims he will do this, I don't believe him. I haven't said much except "great" and try to be encouraging about the diet.

So far he hasn't drank at all (5 days). He cut back a bit for a while before this but how can a person who often drinks approx. 5-10 scotches a day, EVERY day for 30+years not have any withdrawal symptoms? He seems fine, not even anxious or jittery, nothing. I don't get it. Can anyone explain this to me?

Just curious. I appreciate it.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Did he go to a Dr. and get something to help with withdrawal??? Seems strange.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

NO! The only symptom seems to be a little dizziness once, gone now. He attributed that to the diet of course.

I just can't figure it out. I was even thinking before the diet that maybe I should ask someone what to look for in case I saw something dangerous. My sister is a nurse and she was really surprised also. He did "cut down" for about 2 weeks, mostly 2-3 glasses of wine a day, but still, geesh.

He is a serious/severe alcoholic, long-term, daily drinking--scotch. He has never had a DUI, it hasn't affected his work in any damaging way, so he is functioning, but he is a true alcoholic.

Maybe he is Superman-Alcoholic!

I think it is very strange.

Thanks, maybe someone will have experienced this????
Old 03-11-2005, 09:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is way I believe that their drinking is a choice.
Mine drank 1/2 of a 5th of Gin each and every nite.
I told him we were divorcing and he quit the next day. That was June of 2003 and to my knowledge he still does not drink and is not working any program.
Divorce was final in 2004.
Go figure
Screw it !
just my 2 cents.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
zoe

I tend to believe that their is a serious sugar imbalance and yeast over growth that may contribute to the drinking. My H eats alot of sweets when he is not drinking and has all the symptoms of a yeast over growth. He says he has not even wanted a drink in 2 months. Don't know if this is true. He did have some mood swings.
Zoe
Old 03-12-2005, 04:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

seems strange to me too. mt ah is a hardcore and over the past 5 yrs. every time he quit he had withdrawal seizures - very scary!
Old 03-12-2005, 04:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Don't want to put you on a downer, but maybe he's still drinking in secret?
Old 03-12-2005, 07:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone, your posts are helpful.

Myself, I agree with you. It is a choice and a shame your AH didn't make the right one until too late.

Zoe, I don't know anything about yeast problems, but I think there is definitely a sugar imbalance in A's (plus many other imbalances). He does eat sweets when he drinks, also.

CW, I expected some scary stuff. I read about withdrawal and was prepared to call a doctor or the hospital if needed. At the very least I thought there would be a lot of shaking/trembling, he gets a little of that sometimes anyway. I haven't seen that either. He looks better, healthier (for now) with no problems. Bizarre.

Minnie, I can see your point! I have thought of that but I have been with him a lot this week and there is no "evidence". I just looked at the scotch bottle (I rarely bother with that). Half full, easy to check! So will have to see.

Also good luck with your move! It sounds great, a new start. I am happy for you.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think you could tell if he was drinking, unless he has found a special mouth wash.
I have heard that no one can smell vodka, but I think that is while fresh, but breath is rotten in AM, unless he gets up befor you wake.
Is he popping lots of life savers etc?? Also heard peanut butter takes away alcoholic breath. Never heard proof tho.
I too am amazed he isn't having extreme withdrawal, but again each human is different even the A'S.
I can feel your concern and I too would be concerned.
Keep us posted.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks, Clancy. I don't see any evidence of drinking yet. He is eating sugarless candy, part of the diet, but nothing else stands out at all. I am dumbfounded. If I say anything he'll just get furious so there's no point.

I am even wondering if the symptoms may come later???? I know that may be crazy, but I just can't understand it all. This will prove to AH that he is not an alcoholic, I guess! I am not crazy, I see how he drinks, no one can drink that much for so long and not have withdrawal. I will keep my eye out and do what is needed if anything happens...

Well, I will keep you posted!
Old 03-13-2005, 12:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Perhaps there is real variety in how much id needed to create full physical dependency? If you look at the diagnostic criteria for physical dependency it's measured by symptoms when going without rather than the amount drunk - maybe that's because there is variety?

Also you said he'd always worked, not got DUI etc? My hubby managed that but NOT when he was physically dependent (at that stage he didn't even wash). He went from dependency to still drinking heavily every night but being sober for work meant that he had to keep it down - by all accounts he's pretty unusual too!!

I also think willpower while trying to prove it's possible comes into play - would he be likely to admit to anything he felt but could hide?

Do you have an alcohol advice line there you could ask? In the UK there's a VERY good free phone number and you get an excellent fact based service.

Fingers crossed for you!!!
Old 03-13-2005, 01:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am curious does he take a good 1-A-Day vitamin, and does he eat a good breakfast??? lunch and eve meal????
My hubby and one of his brothers picked up the stronger alcoholic genes, they also could not be bothered with taking a vitamin, and they never ate breakfast. Mine was a work-a-holic also, so eating breakfast cut into his working plans.
Course he worked hard and fast, so he could play hard.
but the other 3 brothers had to have a big bkfst, and had to have lunch, and big eve meal, so tho they abused alcohol, and had tolorance for a lot, the food in their bodies kept them from going over the fine line. My H was controlled, hard worker, but when had surgery there was trouble.
Those good meals and a vit will do wonders.
So maybe somehow he is an exception. clancy46
Old 03-13-2005, 09:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by equus
Perhaps there is real variety in how much id needed to create full physical dependency?

Also you said he'd always worked, not got DUI etc? My hubby managed that but NOT when he was physically dependent (at that stage he didn't even wash).

I also think willpower while trying to prove it's possible comes into play - would he be likely to admit to anything he felt but could hide?
Equus,

I just don't know. I looked up withdrawal, etc. again and they do say that everyone's different, that some people have many more symptoms than others. But it also seems clear that there is at least some shaking, anxiety, sweating, moodiness etc. and much worse. I have seen AH have shaking and sweating when he stopped for a day or two. He has been moody and even nasty to me some of the time now, but I don't get it. I guess the diet could be helping????

AH hasn't worked full-time in a few years. He owns a company and others run it. He goes in occasionally. He is home a lot so he can drink without "worrying." He can hold his liquor. He is not visibly drunk often, but I know that glazed "look" when he's on his 3rd scotch. I have seen him in phases not washing, generally a mess, and getting drunk. It comes and goes. But he drinks ALL the time, every day, 5,8,10,12 scotches depending on the day. There have been plenty of times when his drinking affects everything around him.

Willpower, yes. He doesn't think he has a problem and is arrogant about it. Now I am thinking, is he a heavy drinker, not an A???? Whatever that means, I don't see how it's possible.

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think I need a hotline as it has now been 7 days. And it is a diet, not sobriety. I am so confused. But I think I will try and let it go at this point.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Clancy,

You make some good points. I never thought about any of that before. AH eats well most of the time anyway, 3 meals, plus junk when he drinks. Sometimes he can't eat much because he has a bad stomach, ususally from lots of drinking. He takes some vitamins because he is also taking medication for his heart, blood pressure, cholesterol. Of course the heart problem and alcohol don't mix as far as I'm concerned. Talk about risk. Also, maybe there is something to this South Beach Diet. For Phase 1 you cleanse your body of all sugars. Maybe that's it???? Should we all start a business, "Stop drinking with the South Beach Diet"??????? "No withdrawal"!!!!

I am still confused, I know he's an A. But I guess he is an exception! Now he will deny the A even more.

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2005, 09:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

that sugar thing might be part of it - i am no expert but there is a connection with sugar, alcohol, yeast.