I am supportive..why aren't they?

Old 08-22-2002, 09:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

I am supportive..why aren't they?

I am angry angry angry! I am hurt hurt hurt. Please tell me if this is part of the co-dependant syndrome or the child of an alcoholic or just $%^*( me ?
I am always "there" for friends...always thinking of things to do for them, would NEVER let them down...I would not even think of it. I call when I say I will, I plan things, I do and do. I am so tired of of my needs not being met like this. What the &^%$ is wrong with me..... I am going through this with a friend who I cherish( a male friend)...and right now with my divorce going on with the A I don't NEED this. I just can't believe this person could let me down like this. I am beyond angry.
I need to vent this guys.............
Love Kitty
Old 08-22-2002, 09:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Kitty,

I have a rule in my relationships that I give and take equally. I don't do this because I'm selfish. I do it because I've been so terribly taken advantage of because I've always given way too much. I think this is why you're angry. This is another need for boundaries. And it is because you are generous and good hearted. As codependents and caretakers we have to learn boundaries that protect us from being taken advantage of.

Sounds like you've already given more than you're receiving so the anger is going to be there. Maybe you can avoid this from happening again with some new boundaries.

Hugs,

MG

Old 08-22-2002, 09:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hmmm...

I think you're stating that your friend is not being supportive right now when you need it badly, and are asking if your anger is a codependent thing. Did I translate that right?

If I did... Naw... expectations are the plague of most of humanity.... not just us. I think most people have a sense of balance and justice, and expect the effort they put out to be met with an equal return. For some reason your friend can't or won't be your source of comfort right now and the fact that you had expectations is making you cranky. That's not weird. But things don't always balance out with people, and getting in the habit of expecting them to is a recipe' for frown wrinkles. If he can't be there for you, find another source. Like US! Or your friendly local alanon group.

Hugs!
Smoke
Old 08-22-2002, 09:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Hi Kitty

Our codependency goes way beyond our relationship with the A's.

Our need for approval, our need to control, and our over-extending ourselves for family and friends are all symptoms of this disease.

We have to examine all our relationships and our part in each of them. As we recover, we begin to see, as you are, that in many of our relationships we do all the work. And often, we expect from others, something they do not have to give...and that hurts and makes us angry.

We learn to value our healthy relationships, where it is a two-way give and take situation. And we learn to let go of relationships that are not healthy for us. We set up boundaries and we don't try to make the other peron become something they are not.

When we try to control another person, we give all the power and control to them. If they behave the way we want them to, we are happy. If they don't, we are sad or angry. So, how WE are is governed by THEIR actions.

And when you are healing from recent wounds, as you are, you are undoubtedly more vulnerable to feeling the pain.

Be with the people who make you happy and who are supportive of you. And let the others go their own way.

You deserve to be happy, Kitty, and you can be.
Old 08-22-2002, 09:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I like Smoke's answer better . Some people are just jerks. It isn't always about codependency.
Old 08-22-2002, 09:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

And that's what you call a cluster post.

Old 08-23-2002, 12:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grace Under Fire

Hey Kitty,
One of my favorites-I don't know where
this came from...."Expectations are
premeditated resentments. If we expect
nothing of other people we are seldom
disappointed. If we do receive something
it is a gift." I live by this, and it
sure works for me.

Hugs,
Old 08-23-2002, 05:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Josie,

That comes directly from Al Anon literature...if I had my books here I could look up the page.

And Kitty,

It IS about expectations and maybe they aren't exclusive to codependents but they sure can hurt!

My codependent tendencies make me a giver and I am now backing away from a friendship with a taker. What Ann said about focusing on the healthy relationships in your life is true. I don't I want to stop being a giver but I need to restrict myself to friendships that are a bit more balanced.

Hugs,

JT
Old 08-23-2002, 04:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Paused

"If you are humble, nothing can touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know who you are"

Sister Teresa...I just love her!...she also said....

• People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered; Forgive them anyway.
• If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives; Be kind anyway.
• If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies; Succeed anyway.
• If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you; Be honest and sincere anyway.
• What you spend years creating others could destroy over night; Create anyway.
• If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous; Be happy anyway.
• The good you do today, will often be forgotten; Do good anyway.
• Give the best you have, and it may never be enough; Give your best anyway.
• In the final analysis, it is between you and God; It was never between you and them anyway.

Thanks Kitty and to All! "God I love Recovery"
Old 08-23-2002, 05:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

******{Kitty}}}}}

I wanted to give you a hug and tell you, I hope things get better for you.

Many hugs.
Love,
Debbie
Old 08-23-2002, 09:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

I came home from work today and the refrigerator was wide open and everything inside was warm. I would have really been upset if I had expected it to be closed and the food still good.

:argue:

MG

Old 08-24-2002, 04:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

MG!

LOL....well said!!

JT
Old 08-24-2002, 08:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

MG - LOL - Let me guess....he was making supper for you when this happened LOL. That boy really is trying...but like my son he stumbles all over himself.

My son used to push my "expectations" button when he lived with me. He would say "I don't have to live up to YOUR expectations" but what he really meant was the he didn't have to respect my boundaries. Aside from boundaries, I had no expectations. My reply was "then I will expect you to leave really soon".

Sometimes I wonder if I could even funtion in a "normal" world anymore. Where ARE all the "normal people"? Helloooo!
Old 08-24-2002, 09:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Grace Under Fire

M.G.,
I'm glad you got the expectations down,
LOL. And Ann, how do normal people act
and what do they look like-just in case
I spotted one?

Hugs,
Old 08-24-2002, 02:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Josie,

Normal people?? Hmmm....you mean WE aren't normal?

JT
Old 08-24-2002, 04:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Kitty... Have you told your friend how you feel? Specifically, that he has let you down on a number of occasions and you do not deserve to be treated this way? If you have'nt then don't expect him to read hyour mind. We, men I mean, sometimes need to be told what is going on with you, women I mean.

Give him a chance to make you happy. And it seems everyone is cautioning you to stay away from expectations. I think you have every right to expect decent treatment, even to insist on decent treatment. Another term for this is setting boundaries that are healthy.

And as far as being normal........well.......some of us are better than that.
Old 08-24-2002, 04:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Ninerfan

Great advice - and it's good to get a man's view here. Welcome to our forum and please pull up a chair and make yourself at home.

He's right Kitty - we do have a right to EXPECT even insist on being treated decently.

And as for "normal" people...I am taking up the challenge and I will see if I can find at least two somewhere on this planet.
Old 08-24-2002, 08:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Welcome Ninerfan...

That was that little guy..and Jerry Rice right?

I am so sorry I can't remember his name but I am still stuck on McMahon, Wilson, The Fridge, Hampton, McMicheal, Dent, Covert, etc!!

A male viewpoint is always welcome!

JT
Old 08-24-2002, 08:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi Everyone...
It wasn't like it seems...it was an emotional thing. He is a good person...he was my HS boyfriend. : ) That is more than three decades ago! He just did not give Kitty the treatment she wanted. I was down and perhaps he was just being a "MAN" I don't know...but yes he did hear about my disappointment.....he was sorry but you know we women ...well at least me...that does not count for now. Maybe in a month.
I am feeling badly.........I am getting headaches...I think the stress has really set in. I found out MY A has taken a considerable portion of our $$$$ I am very upset about that...*&^$%$##$^&())_($%^&@#$%^&*()_+__!!!!!!!!!
But what can I do now...I will just have to wait out the courts etc.
Man I hope this gets better soon!
Love to all
Kitty
Old 08-24-2002, 09:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Hey Kitty

It does get better, I promise. You have gone through a very emotional time, and now you need time to heal. This is the time to take care of yourself, and work on your recovery.

Don't worry about him. Just take care of yourself. If you haven't gone to a meeting yet, now would be a good time. The support and literature there will help you enormously.

Sometimes we just have to show up and let life happen. There will be bad days, but they don't have to all be bad. Do nice things for you. Pamper yourself and have some fun. You deserve it. We are all here for you, and are cheering you on.

******{Kitty}}}}