I'm going to Alanon today

Old 03-03-2005, 11:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm going to Alanon today

I'm going to an Alanon meeting today. It's been a long time. I feel like a kid going to a new school. I'm nervous. I 'm scared. I keep watching the clock wondering what will come up this time to keep me away. Maybe I should go and be early, but that will give me more time to chicken out. I NEED to get started again. I need to work the program.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

In the early stages when I started going to meetings, I got the willies. I think for me it was a sign that I needed to go. Times I felt I didn't need to go and didn't. Other times, I wanted to go but didn't want to go. Know what I mean? And each time, the meeting covered topics that were helpful to me.

Grab a cup of tea or coffee at the convenience store and walk in like you own the place. You can do it.

Let us know how you did.

Grace and Blessings
Old 03-03-2005, 11:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Go Go Go!!!! Last week I just picked a meeting that was about to start and I ran out the door from work and went!!!!

I had no idea where the place was, when I pulled up I almost turned around, it was like this biker/hangout/poolhall/church!!!! I wasn't scared or anything I just felt like everyone was going to be staring at me like what are you doing here.....But I went and it was great!!!! Don't chicken out!!!
Let us know how it goes, cuz you are going to go right?????

Mindi
Old 03-03-2005, 12:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Starr

Get yourself down there!!

Maybe you should go early - then you can get to know some of the people one on one. Help set out the coffee or put out the chairs. Someone gave me that advice before I went to a meeting and it was some of the best advice I've ever got.

You know you need this - what's stopping you?

Love

Minnie
xxx
Old 03-03-2005, 12:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

go starr go, go starr go, go starr go! you will be glad you did - get that under your belt and you will feel soooo much better!
Old 03-03-2005, 02:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

I've heard this:

If you're thinking about going to a meeting, go to the meeting and think about it afterwards.

Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep breaths, Starr...
Old 03-03-2005, 06:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I went to the meeting today. A lady who I had talked with last time I was there said she was just thinking about me today. They talked about step 3, the one I've struggled with for a long time and posted a little while back and received just the responses I needed to hear to help me with this step. I couldn't talk tho. I just felt like crying the whole way thru but never. After I left I still just felt like crying. I just kept thinking here we all are and look what we have to go thru all of us hurting so much. Tonight he was totally out of it again. I'm tired of this and I'm tired of being tired. I will try to make the meeting again next week because I don't know of anyother way to make it thru this. I still just feel like crying.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Starr,

When I started going to meetings we didn't have the internet. If we had I am not sure what I would have done. It is so easy to sit in my jammies and type at a computer but I know...really know... that I would not have made the progess I have without the real life interaction that I experienced by going to meetings. The real hugs, the faces, the sharing and all the rest is in no way the same.

Good for you! Oh and after saying the above...SR is magic, too!
JT
Old 03-03-2005, 07:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Starr,

I'm so glad you were able to go. I am so sorry you are feeling so sad right now. Just know we are all here for you and I am sending you a big hug((((((((()))))))

Mindi
Old 03-04-2005, 06:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

(((starr))) keep going to meetings - i know that at first it was an alien thing for me, but i now so look forward to my "me" time - my meetings. little by little it's infusing me with strength. i am FAR from vigorously working my program (i hope to get better) but it has made a big difference, along with this forum.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Starr, I'm glad you were able to make a meeting. I've heard many people share over the years that the only feelings they could feel were sadness, anger and fear. At some point, after lots of meetings and other Al-Anon interactions, other feelings began to take their place... feelings like hope, gratitude, joy, and serenity.

I used to think that the "good", comfortable feelings were off-limits to me, like they were the property of others. Not so! They are available to anyone so long as that person seeks them... "whether the alcoholic is still drinking or not".

Keep coming back, Starr. You're WORTH it!!!!