Losing myself in his illness

Old 02-24-2005, 02:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Losing myself in his illness

Some time ago I camhe to this site for hope, support, encouragement and yet I gave up coming here - I got lost in the world of trying to rescue and self doubt and self pity.

My partners alcoholism is progressing - now along with no license is no job - the worry of money increasing - the trying to talk rationally to a sick person. It is sad to see myself taking tactics I KNOW have no effect on another person.

I feel so lost and so alone - I am so scared. I WANT TO WANT to leave - if that makes sense - but for now I just feel stuck and unable to make the next best move for me.

I still love my partner but it now hurts almost all the time. I have no other family here - noone to turn to.

Feels good just being here again
Old 02-24-2005, 03:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Welcome back, hope...

Have you tried attending any Al-Anon meetings?

http://alanon.org/meetings/ontario.html

For me, the tipping point came when the pain of remaining the same was greater than the fear of changing. When that happened, I reached out for help and the fellowship of Al-Anon was there to welcome me, almost as if it'd been waiting for me all the time. There's nothing that compares with the feeling of being around a bunch of compassionate, positive people who truly understand the pain I feel, the confusion of my situation, and the solutions I can use to find my sanity and serenity again.

Stick around. Read. Share. Try some meetings.

Recovery is possible!

Peace...
Old 02-24-2005, 03:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I second the motion

made by nocellphone.

You've made one big step. You returned and you're asking...talking. I agree that you should read all you can, talk with others in similar situations, attend meetings, learn all you can and only then can you decide what's best for you.

Doing something is often better than doing nothing. Today, you visited here. Perhaps tomorrow you can read about the illness, another day, attend a meeting. You get the idea.

Come back often, it's amazing what you can learn from your peers.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back, hope.

Do you have a copy of "codependent no more"? That, and al-anon meetings, have been a lifesaver for me.

You are right where you need to be. Be patient and use this time to heal yourself.

Love

Minnie
xxx
Old 02-24-2005, 05:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Hi hope,
Welcome back. My heart goes out to you. Stick around. You don't have to be alone. Hugs, Magic
Old 02-24-2005, 06:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Hope - welcome back. This place has helped me to restore my sanity. I look forward to getting to know you.

We will always be here for you!!!

Big hugs
(((((())))))
Old 02-24-2005, 06:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful For His Love...

Sending you Love and Light...God has always made a way for me ,even when it seemed there was no way...Steps 1,2,3, helped me get to know him and trust him. When I was 20 years old My husband was murdered in a bar, I had 2 children, my son was 3 weeks old. my mother always drunk... I had no-one. I turned to God and he was my comfort, my strength and courage. I had no money, no job, no family, but god made a way. That was 28 years ago. Go to meetings!!!! Get literature, work the steps and develop a healthy relationship with God, yourself and others.There is Hope...I encourage you because I know with God all things are possible. We have a great and loving and mighty God. He loves you...
Old 02-24-2005, 06:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Caring for the 3 little bears

Hope, sorry to hear of your struggle. I understand. The progressiveness of addiction is horrible. It can be horrible to see our loved ones destroy themselves and there are days when we feel destroyed too. I really do understand. I hope you can find the courage and strength to seek more support for yourself so you can try find some peace. There really are many of us who have been, or are currently in a very similar situation. If possible, getting out of the house and going to meetings, finding a hobby, even if it just walking around the mall, volunteering at a homeless shelter one night a week, anything that interests you will help. I know many times I didn't want to leave my addict, but when I did, I felt so much better. I truly wish you peace, soon.