SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   I got one for you.... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/5188-i-got-one-you.html)

Doppelganger 08-14-2002 07:03 AM

I got one for you....

Well... this is a new one on me.

"YOU stood by me. YOU told me I could recover. I have only been able to stop because of YOU and YOUR belief in me. YOU are my light and my salvation. Do you have any extra money?"

Sometimes I think he has sunk to his lowest point and sometimes I think I have no conception of what depths low can reach.:bojo:

Paulie 08-14-2002 07:27 AM

Dop -

I am sure you know this, but I will tell you anyway. That is manipulation at it's best. That is the kind of thing (different words of course) that I used on my mom all the time!!!!

You are right no-one knows how low someone can go. Just because you can't conceive them going any lower does not mean that they can't.

sorry that you are going through this. Use your tools, you know it has nothing to do with YOU!!! Pray for him and pray for yourself. Do something that makes you feel good today!!!

I hope you have a good day:D

Doppelganger 08-14-2002 07:45 AM

Thanks Pauline!

I knew somebody would be able to say "been there"!!!

I am an Agatha Christie fan. A number of years ago they made a film of one of her books. I can't remember what they called the film, but the book was "The Mirror Cracked from Side to Side". There was a line in the film that I do not think came from the book, but I love it anyway and have been thinking about it all morning. "There are two things I dislike about you. Your face." Can I get another "been there"?!?!!

I think we can abbreviate Doppleganger...
Dope

Morning Glory 08-14-2002 08:11 AM

Dear Doppleganger,

That is a great statement. I hope I can remember that one. I don't think I get the flatery manipulation. I get the blame manipulation. It's all your fault so you owe me now. I know when my kids were young they would do extra chores or be really nice and I would just ask "What do you want?" And then I would hear " Nothing " several times before they came out with it.

Maybe that worked with his mom so he thought he would try it on you.

Hugs,

MG

Paulie 08-14-2002 08:15 AM

http://www.debsfunpages.com/moresmiles/face.gif

No I think I will stick with Dop, not Dope. You are human and you have a kind loving heart. You want to see the good, everyone always tried to see the good in me and believe me I had way more than one face!!!!!!!!!!

Let me tell you, your situation brought back some bid manipulation memories for me. A's are good at what they do, as you know, I speak from experience!!!

Keep you head and keep smiling.
You always make me smile, so I hope this little guy makes you smile!!!

Doppelganger 08-14-2002 08:37 AM

Pauline- that is precisely the face I made at the end of the speech.:rolleyes:

MG- his mom? I'm not sure he has a Mom. I'm beginning to think he sprang spontaneously from bathtub ring grime.:troll:

JT 08-14-2002 01:16 PM

...and where does he think that YOU sprung spontaneously from? Duck dander?

When these pronouncements pour from their duck bills isn't hard not to break into a fit of laughter?

Now my question is...did you get your purse?

Hugs,

JT

Morning Glory 08-14-2002 01:39 PM

LOL

Action Girl 08-14-2002 05:41 PM

Hi dopplegANGER :D

I don't mean that in a bad way... its just tha I can SSOOOO relate to the sweet complimentary form of manipulation, and the anger that it evokes!! AAARRRGGGGG!!@#!!#

Now that that is out of my system, being a sister in co-dependence, I did have to laugh at how quickly he asked for money. Mine doesn't do, just uses it to butter me up to stay with him :o :rolleyes: :mad: :o

"There are two things I dislike about you. Your face." --- Love that one!!!

Sister Girl

Ann 08-14-2002 07:25 PM

Hey Dop

At least he asked....my son just helps himself (if he can find my purse)!!

This was pretty low...but how stupid do they think we are! The one good thing about an addict is that they are transparent. Now if we could just find a way to make them invisible LOL
:tongue3:

Paulie 08-14-2002 07:49 PM

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ann 08-14-2002 07:56 PM

Oops - let me clarify Pauline....an "active' addict.:error: LOL

Paulie 08-14-2002 07:58 PM

Ann -

There is no clarification needed, you made me laugh so hard it brought tears to my eyes!!!!!!

I understand you comment completely!! But you should really think about that, we could be really dangerous if you could not see us LOL!!!

Ann 08-14-2002 08:14 PM

Sort of like the elephant in our living rooms??? LOL

I'm sorry Dop, but this makes me laugh. You know I love you.:kindness:

Paulie 08-14-2002 08:18 PM

Me too Dop!!!

Morning Glory 08-14-2002 09:19 PM

Me too Dop.

I'm so thankful for Dop. I could have never spelled that other name.

Hugs,

MG

Doppelganger 08-15-2002 08:02 AM

Wow! This thread took off without me!

No, JT, I did not get my purse. Well, I did. I got it, threw it over my shoulder, got in the car and drove away. Rasputin is no longer eligible to receive cash awards from the Doppleprize Patrol. Actually, the spiel was a bit longer than all that, I paraphrased for dramatic effect. He didn't make the cash appeal until he thought he had me going, but good.

And my goodness, I agree with Pauline! How spooky would it be to have them creeping around invisibly?!? Rasputin the mad monk in a cloak of invisibility! ( Shudder.)

Rasputin gave up helping himself a long time ago. It's very sad really. He wants my love and my cash and tries to contrive ways to have both. He knows I only blame myself when I give him things, and that I blame him when he sneaks. So he tries to manipulate me into giving so I will still love him. I think.

Anybody that feels like praying for the mad monk... thanks. He was doing pretty well there for awhile. He can do it again.

Dopeyganger