Preparation for counselling.

Old 02-14-2005, 04:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Preparation for counselling.

I have a first counselling session tomorrow. I'm a bit nervous but determined to get the most possible out of it.

In preperation I've thought lots about what I should reasonably expect. More than anything I want tools to stop worry interfering with times that should be good, work and friendships.

I need a bit more control over my emotions and to just generally find my own feet so I can keep my balance as things happen around me. At the moment I feel obsessed because it's hard to get my mind off the things that worry me which means I'm thinking about hard stuff so much of the time.

I do enjoy good times - I let them wash right through me but when the daytime comes even that pleasure turns to worry because of the feeling I could lose the happy stuff.

I also want to know if it's me or if it's the situation, I want to know if this is just hard but I'm healthy and only need to know how to deal with things better. Or if I'm responding in a way that would suggest I'm not ok.

Other than this is there anything else I could do to prepare? Do you think this will help us get focus?

I've never had counselling before (apart from one cocked up session with my Mum that went nowhere), I'm very unsure what to expect.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

equus - i think you laid it out very well. usually once you get started discussing you concerns, etc. all sorts of things come out. they may even be things you didn't reallize because of focusing so much on other things. good luck - i hope it helps and i hope you have a good counselor.

hugs - chris
Old 02-14-2005, 09:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm worried and a bit nervous. It's horrible because I know I talk (and type) too much, I always have done ever since I was a kid I wanted what I said to be accurate so I keep going way past what's needed in case the picture I've painted isn't what I meant. <---- See what I mean??

I don't know which bits matter most so I leave the listener a huge task of untangling masses of info!! I hate it but regardless of intentions I always end up doing the same thing.

If I want something out of this I'm going to have to not swamp her with everything!!
Old 02-14-2005, 09:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Equus - I'm the same way. They get paid to sort through all that.

My counselor is very good and really knows how to decifer what I can't say.

I hope you get a good counselor.

Let us know how it goes.

Maybe you can print some of these threads out started by you - give the counselor some reading. and Possibly jot down some notes to help you stay on track. Just a thought
Old 02-14-2005, 09:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
zoe

I have been to a few counselors in my time and I can reassure you that there is nothing to be afraid of. I would like to caution you though to please be assertive with the counseling. If you do not get what you need find a new counselor. This may take some time but there are good ones out there. Hang tuff!!!
Zoe
Old 02-14-2005, 12:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

you'll be fine. so happy you're taking care of you. and don't worry they usually have very comfortable rooms and chairs and lots of kleenex and if you talk your head off that will probably clue them in even better. good luck.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Chy

Oh my, you do worry to much! *LOL*.. let the process unfold, if you have a good relationship with your therapist it will all fall into place as it's meant to. Now don't worry!
Old 02-14-2005, 01:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well whatever happens I'll have to give the Kleenex a miss!! It's through work and the room they've booked for it has windows to the corridor!!

On top of that, despite it being personal rather than works based I had to explain why to I wanted it to my manager (in the same meeting as discussing my job description!!). Now I have to fill special time sheets to make up the time in small chunks!!

It does mean I get it free though and doing it in work hours means that for now I can keep it to myself that I'm that I've decided to do it. I tried discussing it with D, but just at the moment it has the effect of making him feel more of a failure, and I just don't need to deal with that on top of everything else.