Hello..new here

Old 02-09-2005, 11:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello..new here

Hello all. New here..I am writing regarding my 32 yr old sister who after her entire adult life and some before has decided to go sober. Her drugs of choice..alcohol, marijuana, and that nasty meth. (hard to even type that one).
She is now getting out of a 21 day program that she voluntarily entered. (I think she should be in another 6 months or so..)Only after encountering physical abuse by her recent 'boyfriend' among other things..did she leave with only the clothes on her back. She has a 5 yr old daughter that lives primarily with her Dad. That little girl has seen things no child should see..I don't believe she has ever known her mom sober.

While I am very glad she is receiving help...I am having a hard time being optimistic. She has not contacted her family yet (Just myself, and our mom) and I wonder if this is a 'sign' of failure. Her estrangement from us has been the better part of the past 1 1/2 yrs...all due to the addiction issues, hurting us, taking for granted, and so on..)
She knows that we see her daughter, but as of yet has made no contact.
This is a horrible roller coaster ride. You see, we lost our father from alcoholism 12 years ago. HE had been in and out of treatment..hence my lack of optimism.

I would like to believe in the power of prayer..does anyone know where i may post prayer requests for her and her daughter? I pray all the time and get frustrated.
As much as it kills me, I would sacrifice ever having a relationship with her..IF she were to stay sober and well.

Thanks in advance..for any advice and for letting me vent.

kamide
Old 02-09-2005, 11:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have no great words of wisdom

Just wanted to say that everyone here, in some form or another understands the frustration of dealing with a loved one that is addicted to substances.

Welcome.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

(((((kamide)))))

Many hugs and prayers going out for you and your family and your niece. I know all to well how you feel.....
Old 02-09-2005, 12:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

welcome to this forum!

here's a site with prayer circles that i have visited:

http://www.beliefnet.com/index/index_60.html

there's lots of folks here that will send prayers your way. read all you can on this site and maybe look into al-anon for yourself and your mom.

good luck and prayers are coming your way!

hugs - chris
Old 02-09-2005, 12:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If she is just coming out of rehab, she needs to take this time to focus on herself and her sobriety, not her family. Could it be possible she is feeling some guilt for what she has put you through? Give her time and space. When she comes to you she will need your support (if she is staying clean) and she will someday get to the point of making those amends. Just my opinion. Thoughts and prayers are with you.
Blessings,
MysticCat
Old 02-09-2005, 06:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you...

yes, i am most certain there is guilt.
Thank you, that all makes sense.
kamide