Opinion Please!!!

Old 01-24-2005, 11:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Opinion Please!!!

Should I say something to my AH? It has been a week since he drank, (unless he drank this weekend while he was hunting) and since he found my posts. Neither one of us has said anything about it, and today he called asking for the family doctor’s phone number because (he said) “It was time to get a physical”! It is obvious that he hasn’t drank, and that he would know that I am not blind and I KNOW it. I have been waiting for him to say something, but he hasn’t. Should I say something? Like “You sure look happier” or something? What do you think?
Old 01-24-2005, 11:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

cup - i've had that same question. seems like in the past when i have congratulated my ah on not drinking (and it could just be a coincidence) he has started drinking right after i have complimented him. now i just don't say anything, which i don't feel right about either.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

I would say something

Just my opinion..but I would say something like that....don't know if its the right thing to do but I would. There are so many times when I am not proud of mine, I like to let him know when I am.
Sarah Elizabeth
Old 01-24-2005, 11:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is a toughie for me too...I feel like my AHs personality is such that, by me mentioning that he hasn't been drinking - I feel like that's a trigger that somehow intimates that I have "won" or "controlled" him or something. I'm sure this is all something in my own head...but, I am always anxious and wondering if I should mention anything to him... good question.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That one must all depend on your AH's personality. When my Abf quit for a while I praised him as much as I could, but when he started again he used it against me with, " Even you said I was doing well so what's the big deal?" It was just another way to use what I said as an excuse to drink again. Now I just stay out of it. I don't say anything at all about it any more even when I am proud of him. I'd like to but I'm trying to keep his drinking or not drinking as the case may be as his issue.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree with you peaches it seems like if I say something, he feels like I won and he'll show me who's in charge around here, or something like that. Sorry no answer for ya but good question....

Mindi
Old 01-24-2005, 11:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm on the fence on this one... I always want to praise healthy behavior but like cwohio, as soon as I say something... he drinks again.

Christine
Old 01-24-2005, 11:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i agree with Peaches, you're d*mned if you do and d*mned if you don't. i don't, or maybe i would say, "you get 2 points for being sober this long". they understand the point thing and 2 points is only 2 points. (so i'm not impressed!!)
Old 01-24-2005, 12:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

Geez, see this is why I think I am doing the right thing, but really not helping him at all. I have so much to learn.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

?

Elizabeth, what is it that you are doing?
Old 01-24-2005, 12:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

just thinking I know how to respond

to every situation...thats all I am doing... I just meant that I truly do have lots of learning to do...I would have praised the not drinking...but it seems like those who are more wise and been though this more than I, that maybe that is not such a clear decision all the time.
Live and learn I guess!
Old 01-24-2005, 12:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

boy - it sure is good to know that i am not the only one that is in the same boat - welcome aboard mateys!
Old 01-24-2005, 12:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
{tap}{tap}...Is this thing on?

The question I have asked myself when this comes up is that if I saw someone punching themselves in the face (unacceptable behavior) every day for years and years, and then one day they stopped punching themselves, would I say, "Wow, since you decided to stop that really destructive behavior, you sure do look better!"

I vote for keeping the thoughts to myself. I've learned that A who aren't working the steps or are early in the process don't need any more focus placed on their drinking. I need to keep my focus on myself.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well put Petunia...
Christine
Old 01-24-2005, 01:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Chy

I assure you as the alcoholic in my family I appreciated a little acknowledgment, not a lot, really not a lot, just a tad to know I knew they noticed my efforts. We always make it all about us! Anything more is to straining, and I assure you again, it's very draining and emotional in the begining.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Petunia!!

That is so "funny" I was just explaining it the SAME way to a coworker friend of mine! Only I used the hammer over the head senerio!!!!!
Old 01-24-2005, 05:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Ugh!

I agree with petunia. Just the other night I was accused of being super mean when he wasn't drinking... either that or maybe I'm just mean all the time and he only notices when he's not buzzed? Sure sounds like an excuse to drink to me. For now the focus is not on him, I don't even know anymore...

Hugs,

Faithchaser
Old 01-24-2005, 07:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I tend to make comments like "I have been really relaxed the last few days, it is nice". "I have noticed the kids have been so calm, isn't that great?" Talk about how *I* have been feeling without mentioning the drinking unless he brings it up.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I tend to find me complimenting his not drinking (or even secretly thinking it) is a jynx.

I vote for - Telling him how nice you feel.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Dee at Mt Bully

What a mixed bag--My AH is not drinking but he is not involved in any support group
so I say very little because I don't believe he can heal himself on his own so I don't want to say anything that might be a trigger. I'm think I am dilegently working on my own recovery so I try not get into discussions with him about the fact that he is not
working on his. Not much help huh--smiles--Dee