hard time ahead

Old 01-21-2005, 06:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hard time ahead

Hi all
Ive not been on for a bit but my partner decided before xmas to give recouvery a go he did ok until new years eve as we wrongly stayed at his parents who are both have alcoholism but after that it seemed to spur him on and hes done very well but what worries me is hes been under no work stresses now he has a interview which may mean moving home relocating and as soon as he knew ive seen a change and am so worried that he will start to drink

Can anyone advise as to how to help him?
Old 01-21-2005, 07:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Summer,
I would think that the way to help would be to see if he can find other outlets for his stress. Also does he want this new job? Perhaps the stress is not wanting to move at all or switch jobs. I know it is very basic advice but when you come down to it, there is nothing to prevent him from taking a drink except himself........good luck
Old 01-21-2005, 08:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Maybe suggest ways to keep him busy / walking, working out, etc. Also, let him know your there if he needs to talk about what is stressing him out. That always helps me.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Gracey

This was so hard for me, I so badly want to help my H.....

I changed so many things, I worked harder, I would try to make everything perfect in the house so there would be no stress for him...............I tried to get him involved with the church groups and I enrolled him in a guys softball team, I tried to get him involved in AA, and we went to marriage counseling for 4 months...........

I have exhausted all my possibilities to the point of I was getting sicker.......because nothing I did worked........I was getting depressed, I was feeling like I wasnt good enough, or I didnt do enough

I am so thankful, that out of all the stuff I did for him.........not knowing it, but I was picking up little things here and there for me.......I started learning, the most important thing that I had to learn was how to not focus on getting him better, but to focus on getting me better.........and to realize that I have absolutely no control over anyone but myself........and that he is not going to change unless he wants too.........no matter what I do.........it is up to him, he has got to want to change for himself........

I think the best way to help him is by helping myself