What do you tell the children?

Old 01-10-2005, 05:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What do you tell the children?

Tonite I talked with my 6 year old grand daughter. She asked me if papa was coming with me saturday to babysit. I said I don't know honey, I haven't seen papa today.

My daughter said her husband thinks maybe they need to talk to our granddaughter. Her papa is in jail tonite, suppose to be out tomorrow. But he didn't show up for xmas, and she did ask. I said I left home in such a hurry to see her I forgot about papa...what the heck was that?

What should we say when she asks about papa. I am afraid to say he is sick and couldn't come. Last year another one of her granpas died and she had a really rough time with that. He had cancer and was sick for a long time. Recently one of her grama's was hospitalized and she acted out so terribly over her grama being in the hospital sick. I don't really know what we should say to her...anyone have any ideas on this?
Old 01-10-2005, 06:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1sunshine2
But he didn't show up for xmas, and she did ask. I said I left home in such a hurry to see her I forgot about papa...what the heck was that?
That was cute!!

I suggest you talk to your daughter and her husband to see what they think should be explained to her.

My son was 5 when my AH was in jail, he still don't know about it. My AH and I decided it was best to tell him that daddy had to go away to work. About 20 days into it, my son says - I can't wait till daddy gets home. He's going to have all kinds of money!!

Kids are so great....lol
Old 01-11-2005, 06:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

sunshine -
I can only tell you that in my experience, the worst thing you can do is to avoid the subject. That's what I did with my two daughters. I made excuses, pretended everything was OK and didn't talk about the craziness going on around them.

This only served to teach them that this was a subject that they shouldn't discuss with me. Their fears and sadness were to be hidden. It was a secret.

Even now, they have a hard time talking about it and still try to deny their feelings.

My suggestion would be that you be honest. You can explain the situation and answer her questions honestly without blaming anyone. He has a problem with alcohol. We pray that he will get help for his problem but he has to decide to do that for himself.
Hugs - L