Nothing phases him

Old 01-05-2005, 02:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nothing phases him

First off let me say that I have been away for awhile. Now that the holidays are over I seem to be back into the daily routine.
Here's my story..... My AH went to Pennsylvania for his job. Came home with a terrible cold. He finally went to the doctor, was given medication and was told that his blood pressure was high but that could be due to the cold. The Dr. wanted him to come back when he was feeling better to check it again. Meanwhile he returned to Pennsylvania for 10 more days. When he returned we went to Wal-Mart and checked his blood pressure. It was still way to high. He returned to the Dr. and was put on medication. He was concerned what the reason was that his pressures were high. He he very concious about his health. (But drinking doesn't affect his health...) Anyway I went on the internet and found causes of high blood pressure. Right there in black and white... Alcohol-Heavy and constant drinking. But do you think this affected him in anyway. Nope. That can't be the reason his blood pressure is high. His father drank for years and didn't have a problem with his. (Atleast not that he knows of..his father died of lung cancer.) I just give up. I feel that he can't see past the alcohol. Things he says and does just blow me away sometimes. I can't believe he does these things. My children are so disconnected from him and he can't see the reason why. When I tell him he doesn't think that is it because his father's drinking didn't do that to him so I must be making it up.
I could go on for hours but I won't just had some things to get off my chest.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Thanks for sharing...

People (especially alcoholics) will only see the truth when they're ready to, and not a second before.

I've learned (the hard way and over many years) that I can't make sense of insanity.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well now, if it doesnt affect the rest of their life why would it affect their health?? So sad.

Blessings,
MysticCat
Old 01-06-2005, 02:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've come to look at it like this:

If facing the truth means dealing with it and dealing with it is seen as aversive, then facing the truth would be aversive. It doesn't make sense of the mental acrobatics needed to avoid the truth but maybe it makes sense of why avoiding it is so important.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Whatnow

I can only say that I spent years denying that alcohol was affecting any part of my life. Consequently I drank more and realised eventually that I had a problem. Relationships, jobs, friends....all suffered badly.

Until we accept the problem and make a determined effort to change, nothing will change. The desire to change needs to come from the person with the drink problem.

You obviously care but please believe me, this is not your problem.

Take care of yourself.

Rich
Old 01-06-2005, 07:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi whatnow,sounds familiar.Years ago,my hub had very high blood pressure.He went to the Dr,who gave him pills to bring it down.A fews weeks later,as my hub is drinking and taking these meds,.He gets up one morning all shaky.Says he feels like his heart is jumping out of his chest.So what does he do?He stoped taking the meds.And cursed the Dr,and the meds for many years after that.He continued to drink though..This alcoholism is a disease of the mind,body and spirit.Knowing this helps me ,when i hear totally insane things coming out of the mouth from another who is drinking.Or who is just not ready yet for recovery,and the truth.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Believe me, nothing is brought on by alcohol. My boyfriend's mother just died this morning from liver cancer. She drank a fifth of vodka a day for many, many years. Of course, my boyfriend says, "The alcohol doesn't have anything to do with her getting this cancer." Well it started out as cirrhosis, but eventually turned into cancer. I will not argue with him. That would be like arguing with a bottle. But I understand what you mean though. I will never truly understand how their minds work. Nothing is their fault or the fault of alcohol.

Good luck to you and God Bless!
Grace