A Thought for 12/22

Old 12-22-2004, 06:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
{tap}{tap}...Is this thing on?

A Thought for 12/22

I am just a heartbeat away from loneliness.
--Laura Palmer

The holiday season can be difficult for anyone who has had a major life change. A person who has been widowed, has moved, or has had to deal with new physical limitations may become lonesome when each holiday, birthday, or anniversary rolls around.

We sometimes cause ourselves pain by isolating ourselves. We may feel that no one wants to share the holiday with us or that we dont wish to impose the inconvenience of illness upon friends.

By reminding ourselves of the meaning of these special days, we often find that we can move out of our isolation. Holidays and other occasions reaffirm the value of tradition, love, and family. These days compel us to remember our place within a welcoming circle of friends and family.

I can choose to reach out during the holidays or any day.

From the book Finding the Joy in Today by Sefra Kobrin Pitzele
Old 12-22-2004, 06:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
shammy

Petunia:
Thank you for this post today. Today holds a special meaning for me. This is the day my Dad passed away 10 years ago....and around this time it always seems like just last night.

My Dad was born on Christmas Day, 1920. He and my Mom were married on Christmas Day, 1940. He died on December 22, 1984, and buried Christmas Eve.

Today I shall celebrate his life and everything he taught us.

((((hugs))))
shammy

Old 12-22-2004, 07:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Amen Petunia! It is very easy to get depressed in the holidays, knowing with almost certainty my AH will be drunk...BUT, this year I've taken a new approach. I decided every holiday was going to be great - and guess what? so far, I'm batting 1000! We had the best Halloween EVER (last year - disaster, with my screaming at my H to leave in front of all our family)..Thanksgiving - beautiful! Had 18 people over and had a blast. And now Xmas...I've had a "bow" party with my kids (just us), we've bought toys for needy children, and gone to see Santa.. there is nothing in hec that could keep me from enjoying Xmas. so, thank you for the reminder...it reaffirms that it's up to me how the holidays will be - sharing with family and friends...and not alone in fear and shame. Thank you sweetie!
Old 12-22-2004, 11:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dee at Mt Bully

What a great post. To be honost I've been having a very rough day. Just feeling
the weight of the seperation and loss of my marriage. What I should be doing is looking at the fact that I'm not dealing with a drunk this year. No driving while he's drunk and verbally abusive--etc.--You know I can do anything I want--see friends
look at lights-wonder through the mall--watch silly movies with my son. It really is up
to me what kind of holiday I have. Thank you--Dee
Old 12-22-2004, 12:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

glad to see you turned it around dee - those all sound like wonderful things to go do! enjoy the heck out of your son and enjoy life!

thanks petunia for jogging us back into reality - we are in charge of our own lives only!