question about sick father

Old 12-21-2004, 11:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

question about sick father

Hello everyone, I've written to this forum before about my alcoholic father. He is now more of a non-functioning alcoholic than a functional one now. He's got so many health problems due to his drinking. My question is about his memory. He has no short term memory now. He cannot remember anything. He asks the same thing over and over. He cannot even remember how to check his home voice mail, which has been the same for years. Of course he's about to lose his business since he can't remember anything. I've read about alcohol dementia, and I'm certain that's what he has. What experience do any of you have with this memory loss and alcoholics? We are trying to get him into some sort of detox, but he doesn't seem to interested. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Also, does this mean his health and any normal activities are about to go down the drain for good?

Last edited by e1974; 12-21-2004 at 11:53 AM. Reason: addition
Old 12-21-2004, 04:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

e,

You may want to post this on the Alcoholism Forum. I will leave this here in case you get a response but you may have better luck over there.

Hugs,
JT
Old 12-21-2004, 07:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, e1974,we thought the same thing about my Dad.That he had alcohol dementia,or wet brain.But that was'nt the case.When he was in a car accident,and,he went to,the hospital.There the dr,s told us,that he had,,..hmmm can't remember the name of it,but it wasn't dementia.The fluid that goes from the spine,and travells to the brain was blocked,in his case.The dr,put in a shunt,to keep this flow going.He was acting exactly like he had dementa.And it was explained to us it was because this fluid wasnt getting to his brain.Getting,your Dad,to the dr,would be in his best interest.Ya just never know,.Could be dementa,or something else,as in my Dad,s case..