Let's Get Physical!!!!we're Already Mental..

Old 07-11-2002, 07:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Let's Get Physical!!!!we're Already Mental..

Lately I have been reading about a lot of physical symptoms that we have when we are under stress...and we ARE under stress here, so thought I would start a thread and get some input.

I have been working my program for almost 5 years, and I thank God every day for the strength it has given me. I now acknowledge the pain, address it and try to let it go; I have many mental exercises that I do to keep my sanity, and I know that I need to have some fun, take walks, and stay spiritual to maintain my recovery.

But sometimes, when I know that I am doing all the things I should be doing, and actually feel fairly good emotionally, mentally and spiritually, my body will play tricks to point out that I need to do more to heal physically. I get a goofy rash on only one hand, I get more headaches, I become best friends with my toilet bowl, and my back aches when I have done nothing to cause it.

This disease and recovery can be like going through a war with ourselves, and the truth is that our stories are traumatic, horrifying, and exhausting.

We don't have to take to our beds and pull the covers over our depressed little bodies, but more rest...even taking a little time off work to do something restful, making sure we eat right, getting some counselling, and doing relaxation exercises (MG has several on her PTSD board), can help heal our physical bodies.

I am interested if anyone else has physical symptoms even when things seem okay...and what do you do to look after your physical health.

Tell me your stories.
Old 07-11-2002, 08:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

I don't do what I could do.

Walking three times a week.
Stretching muscles
Eating Fruits and Vegetables
Eating Fiber
Limiting cholestoral fatty foods.
Drinking lots of water
Quitting Smoking

I have such tension in my muscles that the doctor said I had muscle damage. Streching is very important.

What I have done is get tests to check my veins. There is a stroke prevention clinic that will ultrasound your neck veins and abdominal aorta to check for stroke risk. This test has saved many lives.

A friend of mine had a stroke and found that his neck vein was 99% clogged and the other side was 70% clogged. They can't repair the 99% side because he waited too long.

My father had an abdominal aneurysm the size of a grapefruit and miraculously lived through the surgery. He lived many years after that before he died.

I would really suggest that everyone get this test after the age of 40. While I was getting my test done a person there discovered he had an abdominal aneurysm. It saved his life.

Anyway I ache all over and don't have any energy ever and I know if I would only start excercising and eating right I would feel a lot better.

Hugs,

MG

Old 07-12-2002, 04:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

With all the stress that I have pent up right now more fiber is not what I need MG....Burp!

It is funny that you should post this right now Ann because I have noticed lately physical symptoms that I have not experienced since 104 years ago when I ran screaming into the rooms of Al Anon.

Something else that I have noticed, and so have the people around me, is that I am distracted. VERY distracted! I have been unable to focus. I have about 10 thoughts going at any moment of the day. Not healthy!

I have been doing what I can for myself so much that the corners of my house look furry from all the dog hair, and the laundry is piling up..and that alone creates MORE stress.

I will be checking out your board MG for the relaxation methods and getting back to my walking which has always been a great stress reliever for me. Now that it is no longer 95 degrees here I can rest the treadmill.
Old 07-12-2002, 09:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

STRESS! WHAT STRESS!
Old 07-12-2002, 01:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grace Under Fire

My biggest, biggest problem is sleep.
I have always been a insomniac, and
as I'm getting older, it is just getting
worse from the stress. So then it starts
affecting me physically, right now I can