Red flag?

Old 11-01-2021, 05:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red flag?

I had 22 year marriage to alcoholic and 8 months ago ended a close friendship/situationship with another emotionally unavailable man whose coping mechanism was drinking. So I’m now trying to navigate potentially dating. I am trying to not repeat my old patterns of saying “he’s such a good guy” but overlooking the red flags.

So, at a friends yesterday and a mutual single friend is there. Everyone knows he’s a “good guy”. Most are drinking, though I’m not (I rarely drink now after these relationships as I realized for the most part I was only drinking cuz everyone else was. I prefer not to cuz I don’t really like the feeling of drinking anymore much). This single guy is having a few beers and a cigar. Nothing major it seemed.

We were taking about popcorn and he said homemade popcorn and a nice glass of whiskey is always nice. Is this a red flag? My thought goes to…he drinks alone. But maybe people have a whiskey or a glass of wine alone? I have no idea what is normal anymore.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Some people do drink without problems. None of us knows enough about this person to know whether it's a red flag or not. Personally, it's the kind of comment that would turn me off.

But the question whether or not this person might drink alcoholically, it's what are you looking for in a partner?

It would be perfectly reasonable for you to only want to date people who don't drink at all. They are out there (and worth the wait, if that's important to you). If you find yourself compromising what you want for the sake of being in a relationship, then I might suggest you're not quite in a place to be ready for healthy dating at the moment. For me, it was only when I was comfortable being alone that I was really ready to date again.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you SK. I agree on the being comfortable being alone. I am finally feeling ok being alone. His few beers and cigar and comment did make me think “yeah I don’t think so”. But I just second guess that I’m overreacting to any alcohol these days. I’m still figuring out whether I need someone to be completely sober. I don’t think I do. I want someone like me. Who enjoys a drink periodically but can take it or leave it. My social circle has been around drinkers. So I’m finding my way away from them and will hopefully meet more people like me.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have horrible instincts when it comes to men. After my 2nd divorce, I dated a bit but didn't choose wisely. It wasn't until I started seeing a therapist that I understood what I was doing. I'll never forget my recounting my relationship with my ex and him saying, "red flag", "red flag", "red flag" probably 25 times, and I wasn't even finished!

My therapist enlightened me in just a few sessions (though I did continue with him for over a year). I highly recommend it!
Old 11-01-2021, 07:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
sage

I've only recently started dating again. And I have to really force myself to identify when I get those gut feelings and pay attention.

I did date someone briefly and I ignored a gut feeling I got off the first conversation. It came up again a few weeks later and I realised I had to pay attention, and have let this person go. I've just become really clear about what is and is not going to work for me in a potential partner, something I really was not able to identify or vocalise before. I think this is because I've spent time learning whom I am and what are my boundaries, and that those matter a lot. Healing from codependency means knowing that you are an equal and important part of each relationship, and your needs and boundaries hold equal importance.
Old 11-01-2021, 08:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Fresh.......If one is going to go fishing, one must be willing to throw the small ones back!

lol.
Old 11-01-2021, 08:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Freshstart1111 View Post
But I just second guess that I’m overreacting to any alcohol these days. I’m still figuring out whether I need someone to be completely sober.
Just my opinion that overreacting is better than underreacting especially until you get a better feel for what is right for you.
If it was me in your situation, I wouldn't want to start a relationship with that person but we're all different.
Old 11-01-2021, 11:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

To me this is very simple:
Date a confirmed non drinker and you won’t have to worry about this issue.
Old 11-01-2021, 03:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have a drink almost every night. More than one usually makes me feel ill. "A few beers" would make me start looking for the flags. One or two, no.

Old 11-01-2021, 07:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't know if I would be that concerned about the comment, but I would be concerned about his taste in combos of food and drink lol

Old 11-02-2021, 03:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hahaha, trailmix.. that was my first thought too!
Old 11-02-2021, 08:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Freshstart1111 View Post
I had 22 year marriage to alcoholic and 8 months ago ended a close friendship/situationship with another emotionally unavailable man whose coping mechanism was drinking. So I’m now trying to navigate potentially dating. I am trying to not repeat my old patterns of saying “he’s such a good guy” but overlooking the red flags.

So, at a friends yesterday and a mutual single friend is there. Everyone knows he’s a “good guy”. Most are drinking, though I’m not (I rarely drink now after these relationships as I realized for the most part I was only drinking cuz everyone else was. I prefer not to cuz I don’t really like the feeling of drinking anymore much). This single guy is having a few beers and a cigar. Nothing major it seemed.

We were taking about popcorn and he said homemade popcorn and a nice glass of whiskey is always nice. Is this a red flag? My thought goes to…he drinks alone. But maybe people have a whiskey or a glass of wine alone? I have no idea what is normal anymore.
I have wine and cheese alone sometimes... not a bottle... usually one glass.. maybe a second if I stay up later...
Old 11-02-2021, 08:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
I don't know if I would be that concerned about the comment, but I would be concerned about his taste in combos of food and drink lol
Hahah ... I just wrote I have a glass of wine with cheese sometimes alone... but popcorn and whisky Good comment