Techinical question about therapy

Old 12-12-2004, 04:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Techinical question about therapy

My therapist and my husband's therapist are in the same practice. We have few options where I live.

My husband is currently lying to his therapist about his drinking due to his probation for the DUI.

Should I not mention the drinking with my therapist? Although it is at the route of many of our issues, I certainly can talk with her about many other things. My main purpose of going is to figure out how to continue to live and find joy with such overwhelming pressures and stress in my life. I suppose I can do that without being specific about the "stressors".

I don't want to get my husband in any more trouble. He has enough going on.

Can therapists in the same practice talk to each other? SHould I just ask her in a "hypothetical" kind of way?

I know that my husband's therapist had to write a letter to his lawyer stating that he was currently receiving alcohol counseling and that part of his probation was that he would not drink.

I am so beyond even thinking that my husband is capable of the rational behavior of not drinking.

So, I just wonder how much I should feel comfortable in saying to my therapist tomorrow.

Thank you for any advice.

Jenny
Old 12-12-2004, 05:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Rest peacefully Sonny Boy

My opinion for what it is worth is you should be confortable in saying anything to your therapist. They swear an oath of confidentiality unless someone is going to hurt someone else physically or themselves, anything you say can't be disclosed period. Ask your therapist up front about that confidentiality. You don't want to withold anything, especially something that is having such a huge effect on your life. What the stressors are being one of them.

Good luck tomorrow, let us know how it goes.
Ms. B
Old 12-12-2004, 07:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Let the therapy be your safe place. Doctor-patient confidentiality is in place, so you truly can say what you'd be afraid to anywhere else.
Best of luck.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Caring for the 3 little bears

I agree, it wouldn't benefit YOUR therapy if you couldn't talk about everything on your heart. You need the best support system available, and you need the comfort of knowing that you can be open and honest with your therapist. And, I THINK it would be illegal for her to share with the other therapist, but you can just ask her if everything you say is in total confidence, even within that "group" of therapists.

Doesn't he have to drop UA's if he is on probation? If so, he is playing around with jailtime.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wraybear

Doesn't he have to drop UA's if he is on probation? If so, he is playing around with jailtime.
I don't know. He meets with his probation officer tomorrow afternoon.

It is so surreal to me. How did the fun loving funny sweet kind loving handsome frat boy turn so quickly into a felon whose behavior has forced me to dig so deep inside of myself to find the strength to deal with it all...

Jenny