Things I have been reading ... Helpful I think

Old 10-06-2021, 08:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Things I have been reading ... Helpful I think

Hi Everyone...

So I have always loved Brene Brown, Glennon Doyle and Eckhart Tolle. Recently, I re watched a Ted Talk with Glennon Doyle in which she has this story about finding out her husband had been cheating on her their entire marriage so she filed for divorce and was going through so much emotional pain. She talks very freely about not wanting to do the work at first but wanting to push easy buttons to get out of her pain. One day she went to Hot Yoga and just cried on the mat the entire class. She explained that it was the first time she didn't run from it. When she got home she opened up one of her favorite books at a random page and the quote was

“So even if the hot loneliness is there, and for 1.6 seconds we sit with that restlessness when yesterday we couldn't sit for even one, that's the journey of the warrior. (68)”
― Pema Chödrön

I remember listening to this a few years ago and being so into this idea that we push easy buttons to avoid pain. Alcohol, dating people that aren't relationship material, working out too much, working too much, checking out on Social Media ect.... And if we stay in the hot loneliness of our pain eventually it is not our fear anymore. So I looked up more quotes by Pema Chodron today and found this one.

“Things falling apart is a kind of testing and also a kind of healing. We think that the point is to pass the test or to overcome the problem, but the truth is that things don’t really get solved. They come together and they fall apart. Then they come together again and fall apart again. It’s just like that. The healing comes from letting there be room for all of this to happen: room for grief, for relief, for misery, for joy.”
― Pema Chödrön, When Things Fall Apart

I had a particularly painful day today ... these reminders that pain can be power, that I can do hard things and that "bad feelings" are our teacher as well as happy, shiny feelings. It made me feel not as alone ... I still feel grief but just like I cry when I feel grief... I laugh when I am happy... one is not better than the other. They are equally human.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
sage

Originally Posted by LovelyKaya33333 View Post
I had a particularly painful day today ... these reminders that pain can be power, that I can do hard things and that "bad feelings" are our teacher as well as happy, shiny feelings. It made me feel not as alone ... I still feel grief but just like I cry when I feel grief... I laugh when I am happy... one is not better than the other. They are equally human.
Thank you for posting this. If I'm being honest, I too have had a painful day. I'm hoping that I'm handling it with some grace, that I'm being honest and kind with myself. It's really difficult for me to sit with it and acknowledge it and feel it. And I'm just repeating to myself, "all that does not serve me, I release; I let go of all that does not serve me." You are so on point when you say grief and happiness are equally human.

Tomorrow is a new day, a new moment, a new me, and I must have faith in that.
Old 11-28-2021, 05:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello. Jumping in here "late" -- I searched for posts that included this, "Eckhart Tolle," and came across this thread.

I had heard prior of Eckhart Tolle, and today took some time to listen to what he has shared via a video on YouTube. Fascinating. Even his voice just sort of helps to calm while taking in what he is saying.

I like where he states he does not use the word "mindfulness" to describe that state, since it implies a mind being full where one is wanting to achieve what seems to be the state of being present and not actively thinking.

👍👍 to your post, LovelyKaya33333 Thank you for sharing your knowledge.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Powerful stuff Kaya. Thank you for sharing. These excerpts that I would be unaware of, unless others posted, help me get through the day, the hour, the ten minutes, that I’m flailing. Sundays are particularly hard for me for some reason, probably because I have all afternoon that’s quieter than most days.