Alanon and Boundary Question

Old 09-25-2021, 09:15 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TNana View Post
Nd819, thanks for the warm welcome and response. I have to admit, when I first read it, I thought "OMG, I can't imagine living this way for years." And then came the memories of all the little things and some big ones, too, piled one on top of the other. "💡 OMG. I have been living this way for years." Makes a lot of sense why everything is bubbling up and why I'm so angry.

So what I'm hearing from you is that this is a process. Does your husband actually see the elephant in the room? Or does he pretend everything is peachy? And when he oversteps your boundaries does it always end in an argument?

​​​
​​​​​
My husband certainly sees the elephant in the room but cares more about drinking than making the necessary changes to address said elephant. Instead he just pretends that what he is doing is normal, after all it is what he saw growing up and I really believe that in a twisted way he thinks it is how a family operates. It doesn't always end in an argument, usually just when I can't manage to bite my tongue. I have made a huge mistake by allowing this to go on for as long as it has, unfortunately I feel trapped and stuck.
Old 09-25-2021, 11:15 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Ugh. That is exactly what happens in my house. It's confounding - and a lot of what I find so disgusting as you put it so eloquently. 😂

He has chosen a quit date with a medically supervised program - psychiatrist and psychologist - so my fingers are crossed as tightly as possible, but I'm not putting money on it.

I appreciate you sharing your story with me and hope you'll take it easy on yourself in regards to staying so long. There are a lot of moving parts, especially when children are involved. 🤗

​​​​