Civil restraint

Old 09-17-2021, 01:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Civil restraint

Hi - my husband is an alcoholic. We separated earlier this year. I had to get a temporary restraining order last week because he showed up in kid’s school drunk. I have a follow up hearing and I am trying to put in place a civil restraint instead. I would like him to have a month of sobriety before seeing the child and after that want to make sure he is not drinking when he sees child. How can I ensure this? Soberlink seems really expensive. ~$500 for device and >$99 per month. Unfortunately he has no income or asset so I will end up paying for this. Are there any other options that won’t cost so much?
Old 09-17-2021, 03:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Unfortunately Soberlink is the only thing I have ever heard of that can manage this kind of testing. However, the peace of mind that comes with knowing he has not been drinking when your child is in his care may be worth it.

What would happen if you left figuring out how to pay for it up to him? If there is one area in which addicts are reliable it's that they can be incredibly resourceful if it gets them what they want. If he cannot figure out how to do what he has to do to see his child, should he be seeing the child at all?
Old 09-17-2021, 03:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree, if the court will order him to have soberlink testing as a condition for visitation, then the court can also order him to pay for it. If he can't - well no visitation.

Having him sober a month before seeing your child might not get anywhere but being sober before, during and at the end of a visit seems quite reasonable. Do you have a lawyer? It would certainly be worthwhile to have a chat with one about this.