Husband Secret Drinking

Old 09-07-2021, 01:58 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sage1969 View Post
All these health issues are secondary / comorbid to the alcoholism. If he were to go through detox, remain sober, and commit to recovery, some of the other health issues might resolve, but to slap a bandaid on each health issue without addressing the alcoholism is just that, slapping on bandaids that are going to come right off.

Alcoholism is progressive. It never gets better, it always gets worse. Your husband's current health issues will continue to get worse, and the only way to fix this is to treat the alcoholism.

Many of us at SR including myself have seen escalating violence with slamming and breaking things. That escalates into physical violence. It escalates, and does not improve, if the alcoholism and domestic violence aren't both treated. For your daughter's sake, as well as your own, get this out of your home ASAP.

I can't speak for a healthy marriage since both of mine were distinctly not healthy. I would definitely say that what you are experiencing is not healthy. It is good that you are self - sufficient and able to spend time with your own interests and pursuits, you will need this resiliency.

I would say that managing the health appointments for your husband, and saying it's ok for him to drink sometimes, just not as much, are both codependent and enabling. For an alcoholic no amount of alcohol is ok, ever. It's understandable to not want to admit codependent or enabling behaviors; that was a hard one for me to face. I've found though that when I'm most resistant to something, the more I dig in my heels, the more of a problem there is, and that I have to face and work on that problem. So learning as much as you can about codependency and enabling behaviors will be really helpful.
I am no longer managing his health appointments - I was always told men are just stubborn and won't go to the doctor and this is common etc etc ... so I made his appointments and made him go but I am done now. I always hated doing it - it felt like I had another child! I already have a sick child whose appointments I manage and I end up in hospital with her usually every 4 weeks ontop of her appointments. THen she can be bedbound - for 2 years she was bedbound and suffering starting at the age of 6. I had to carry her to the toilet, hold her head up to give her water through a straw, bathe her still when she was 8 as she didn't have the strength. So I'm a carer I guess and it naturally went over to him but it made me resentful and angry. I've just messaged him and told him that as he has not bothered to even read the email I sent nor has he done anything at all that makes me think he is trying to make positive changes, he is going ot need to find somewhere else to live and that I will soon be telling my parents. I told him I know you will say anything to stay but I know you will never change and I am done now.

Re the drinking - it was more that it didn't really sink in until today about the issue. I didn't tell him to stop drinking because he is an adult and I can't tell him what to do and I know he'd just hide it again anyway so that is what I meant re the drinking. If the drinking wasn't the cause of these issues then I wouldnt' care about a bottle of vodka a week - that's whta I mean. But as it is the most likel ycause, I do care very much but I also know he isn't going to stop if I tell him to so what's the point?!
Old 09-07-2021, 02:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

All these health issues are secondary / comorbid to the alcoholism. If he were to go through detox, remain sober, and commit to recovery, some of the other health issues might resolve, but to slap a bandaid on each health issue without addressing the alcoholism is just that, slapping on bandaids that are going to come right off.

Alcoholism is progressive. It never gets better, it always gets worse. Your husband's current health issues will continue to get worse, and the only way to fix this is to treat the alcoholism.

Many of us at SR including myself have seen escalating violence with slamming and breaking things. That escalates into physical violence. It escalates, and does not improve, if the alcoholism and domestic violence aren't both treated. For your daughter's sake, as well as your own, get this out of your home ASAP.

I can't speak for a healthy marriage since both of mine were distinctly not healthy. I would definitely say that what you are experiencing is not healthy. It is good that you are self - sufficient and able to spend time with your own interests and pursuits, you will need this resiliency.

I would say that managing the health appointments for your husband, and saying it's ok for him to drink sometimes, just not as much, are both codependent and enabling. For an alcoholic no amount of alcohol is ok, ever. It's understandable to not want to admit codependent or enabling behaviors; that was a hard one for me to face. I've found though that when I'm most resistant to something, the more I dig in my heels, the more of a problem there is, and that I have to face and work on that problem. So learning as much as you can about codependency and enabling behaviors will be really helpful.
re the escalation - I have noticed a sudden escalation recently when he threw a plate of curry across the kitchen and broke the tap. After that he sat and stared for a long while - I think maybe he was in shock at what he had done. I just looked at him and said "you are insane" and went out with my daughter to the bonfire and had a fun night and just pretended he wasn't even there. This was after he stormed off the beach angry at me for signing our sick child up for virtual school and then slept on the couch from 1pm til 8pm while I catered to my chil dand her friend who I took to the trailer - swam with them, made them dinner, fetched their drinks etc etc and he just slept then got up and had a "mantrum".
Old 09-07-2021, 02:04 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
sage

This is the heartbreak we all go through -- we do care very much. But it also is time to acknowledge that he must get treatment because he wants to. It doesn't matter what he *says*, it matters what he *does*.
Old 09-07-2021, 02:14 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I think you really have a lot of clarity about this Steph and you are going to be ok. Once the tornado has left the building, I hope you will be able to live peacefully and happily again.

As sage said, action not words, as you have realized, he's not about to do anything, but again, that's not your problem.

I can understand you not wanting to talk to him when your Daughter is there, is there any possibility your parents could take her for a ride or out to dinner one night? That's assuming it's safe for you to confront him alone. If not perhaps you could have a friend come over and just be "around". It's hard to talk to someone when they are drunk, as you know all too well, just remember you never have to J.A.D.E - Justify, Argue, Defend or Explain. He's not coming to the sober party right now so all that would be a waste of your time and emotional energy. Perhaps if he wants a big talk session you could agree to meet him for coffee in a week or so to discuss?

Old 09-07-2021, 02:15 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Yes it is heartbreaking - I am on the verge of tears thinking that our marriage is over and feeling guilty for being the one to kick him out when he isn't even in his home country! He has this way of making everyone around him feel guilty!!!
Old 09-07-2021, 02:17 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
I think you really have a lot of clarity about this Steph and you are going to be ok. Once the tornado has left the building, I hope you will be able to live peacefully and happily again.

As sage said, action not words, as you have realized, he's not about to do anything, but again, that's not your problem.

I can understand you not wanting to talk to him when your Daughter is there, is there any possibility your parents could take her for a ride or out to dinner one night? That's assuming it's safe for you to confront him alone. If not perhaps you could have a friend come over and just be "around". It's hard to talk to someone when they are drunk, as you know all too well, just remember you never have to J.A.D.E - Justify, Argue, Defend or Explain. He's not coming to the sober party right now so all that would be a waste of your time and emotional energy. Perhaps if he wants a big talk session you could agree to meet him for coffee in a week or so to discuss?
Well the issue is I guess I can't even tell if he is drunk or not lol! Clearly - I mean there were 6 bottles of empty booze in the golf bag so he has been drinking when I haven't realised it! I think sometimes I thought he had a neurological issue causing him to appear drunk when he wasn't, and sometimes he was topping up his drinking on a night when we were all drinking beer or wine and that just wasn't enough for him, but sometimes I think he was swigging it and I had no idea at all!!!
Old 09-07-2021, 02:50 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
sage

Originally Posted by StephEgan View Post
Well the issue is I guess I can't even tell if he is drunk or not lol! Clearly - I mean there were 6 bottles of empty booze in the golf bag so he has been drinking when I haven't realised it! I think sometimes I thought he had a neurological issue causing him to appear drunk when he wasn't, and sometimes he was topping up his drinking on a night when we were all drinking beer or wine and that just wasn't enough for him, but sometimes I think he was swigging it and I had no idea at all!!!
This is just it -- there may never be the perfect time to have this conversation, if he must be sober for it. I know that I had never seen my XABF sober until shortly before I broke up with him.

Set your boundaries so that you feel safe having this discussion, but as suggested by Trailmix, the serious conversation might have to wait til he's been out of the house and not drinking, over coffee or something. It might have to come in stages: first he moves out, then you meet someplace safe away from the house to discuss what happens next.
Old 09-07-2021, 03:14 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

This is just it -- there may never be the perfect time to have this conversation, if he must be sober for it. I know that I had never seen my XABF sober until shortly before I broke up with him.

Set your boundaries so that you feel safe having this discussion, but as suggested by Trailmix, the serious conversation might have to wait til he's been out of the house and not drinking, over coffee or something. It might have to come in stages: first he moves out, then you meet someplace safe away from the house to discuss what happens next.
I don't think he would get violent tbh but I guess I can't be sure. I also am not sure that I can make him move out until a separation agreement is in place - to move out of the home without a separation agreement would mean he is giving up a lot of parental rights - so anyone who realises this would refuse to go until the agreements were all figured out with lawyers and signed etc.
Old 09-07-2021, 03:56 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

He has replied to me - "I know you have no reason to believe me, but this is not as big an issue as you think. I went for months only drinking the odd beer but have been drinking more recently. I can only apologise. I haven't read all of your email because I'm embarassed by my behaviour. However, I promise I will read it all and act on your suggestions. Can we try and talk on our own at some point". To which I said yes but I don't trust you anymore and your I don't want to subject our child to your abusive behaviour anymore. he then said "I know. I've emailed that therapist you suggested and explained this. I don't expect you to put up with this and you shouldn't have to. Itruly apologise and I promise Ill make up for it. I should have been more aware of how ridiculous my behaviour has been and not let it get close to this stage. "
Old 09-07-2021, 04:19 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

He has replied to me - "I know you have no reason to believe me, but this is not as big an issue as you think. I went for months only drinking the odd beer but have been drinking more recently. I can only apologise. I haven't read all of your email because I'm embarassed by my behaviour. However, I promise I will read it all and act on your suggestions. Can we try and talk on our own at some point". To which I said yes but I don't trust you anymore and your I don't want to subject our child to your abusive behaviour anymore. he then said "I know. I've emailed that therapist you suggested and explained this. I don't expect you to put up with this and you shouldn't have to. Itruly apologise and I promise Ill make up for it. I should have been more aware of how ridiculous my behaviour has been and not let it get close to this stage. "
Right, well, this is pretty much Alcoholism 101, I'm sorry to say.

He hasn't read all of your email because he's embarrassed. I think that's very telling that he's not ready to face up to what he has done.

He's contrite now that he knows you are on to him but for years he has been stringing you along. I'm sorry, none of this rings true. But again, action, not words, he has destroyed your relationship so he "emailed" the therapist. All you can do is look at those actions as they unfold, if you feel inclined to try to reconcile. Getting sober is a long road. Putting the drink down is one thing, getting in to true recovery, which means addressing all the issues that kept him drinking in the first place is another.

The initial stages of recovery are really tough. It also means he can never drink again.

So that's all well and good but perhaps he should consider living elsewhere while doing that work, for your sake and that of your Daughter.

As for visitation, he may not want to be all that involved when he sees the work he needs to do (or not do). Also, you could specify supervised visitation only to start with.

Old 09-07-2021, 04:26 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Right, well, this is pretty much Alcoholism 101, I'm sorry to say.

He hasn't read all of your email because he's embarrassed. I think that's very telling that he's not ready to face up to what he has done.

He's contrite now that he knows you are on to him but for years he has been stringing you along. I'm sorry, none of this rings true. But again, action, not words, he has destroyed your relationship so he "emailed" the therapist. All you can do is look at those actions as they unfold, if you feel inclined to try to reconcile. Getting sober is a long road. Putting the drink down is one thing, getting in to true recovery, which means addressing all the issues that kept him drinking in the first place is another.

The initial stages of recovery are really tough. It also means he can never drink again.

So that's all well and good but perhaps he should consider living elsewhere while doing that work, for your sake and that of your Daughter.

As for visitation, he may not want to be all that involved when he sees the work he needs to do (or not do). Also, you could specify supervised visitation only to start with.
I completely agree with what you are saying - he puts us through years of abuse then emails a therapist and promises he'll make it all up to me. How exactly?! How do you make up for years of verbal and emotional abuse? Because I'm tihnking that is what has been going on now but i'm still not exactly sure. It will be very hard for him to never drink again - VERY hard! We all drink - so do I need to stop drinking because of this? Because none of this was my fault and I like to have some wine and my family all has wine or beer on the weekends. He was already saying the vodka thing isn't a big deal - that is what stuck out to me. At first I thought the same but after a week of stewing on it, now I think it is a big deal and very odd behaviour. Every time I tried to speak to him or email him about his behaviour in the past, he tried to turn it on me and how I do this and that - so this time in my email I had said "do not turn this onto me - no more gaslighting - I am the rock of this family and coping very well with all of the stress we have and this has nothing to do with me" basically so now this time he's saying this .... he has no other out and after telling my dad to eff off he has realised he really is out of control. This is really hard isn't it?! When they come crawling back sucking up and you always want to give them another chance!
Old 09-07-2021, 04:34 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

My response was " No, you shouldn't have and after MANY years of this, I'm not sure how i could get past it. Good you emailed Bruce. You need to figure out what your issues are if you are ever going to live a hapy life, with or without me. I'm not sure how you could ever make up for the years M.. and I have endured of your verbal abuse and violence of hitting and punching things and you saying it was all fine and normal. Just the other night you threw your phone in anger because I wasn't coming in to see you. You do little things like that nonstop basically so I'm not sure how you'll ever change enough at this point for me to be happy again or trust you." Now I just don't know what to do - this is really hard. Is all of that stuf fhe did abuse? How do I find out? Verbal and emotional abuse is tough to "diagnose".
Old 09-07-2021, 04:37 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

My brother is divorced - he has major anger issues too and can yell and scream - I saw him yelling in his ex wife's face on time and my mum told me stories of him throwing her papers all over the room in a rage when she was studying for med school finals. She kicked him out eventually - now he has a girlfriend of 3 yrs - they were nauseating together for along time but i see the signs of change lately and recently she told my mum about how he gets VERY angry at her many evenings and screams and she just walks away and goes to bed. He drinks A LOT - they never seem to change even with new women - when the honeymoon period goes away it all comes back.
Old 09-07-2021, 07:17 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I just read this in the stickies, which really resonated with me:

You will know when they are ready to change when they say “I need help. Tell me what to do.”

Is that not what my husband has just done by saying in his message "I will take all of hte suggestions in your email"?
Old 09-07-2021, 07:21 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Now I just don't know what to do - this is really hard. Is all of that stuf fhe did abuse? How do I find out? Verbal and emotional abuse is tough to "diagnose".
Yes it's abuse. Sometimes it's worse than being physically abused really, in my opinion. His anger and acting out is a way to keep control of you (and other people). You don't dare follow up on anything once he has thrown the phone or put a hole in the wall. Perhaps you walk on eggshells, anticipating that you might set him off.

Him speaking to you the way he does is abusive as well. You do deserve to be treated with respect and kindness. You can google emotional abuse and you will probably relate to much of it.

You know, you don't need any other reason to separate from him other than you are not happy. If that were all it was, you could still ask him to leave. I understand you feel guilt, you'll hear that a lot on this forum. We are taught to be kind and compassionate to people who are having a hard time. Addiction is different in that the things you would find in a normal relationship just aren't there, most times it can be the opposite. All that aside, when abuse rears it's ugly head, all bets are off - to love and to cherish - he gave those vows as well.

Marriage is not meant to be a punishment.

Alcoholism/addiction is very selfish, I don't know him but it sounds to me like he is just spouting words to try to keep the status quo.

Old 09-08-2021, 05:08 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Yes it's abuse. Sometimes it's worse than being physically abused really, in my opinion. His anger and acting out is a way to keep control of you (and other people). You don't dare follow up on anything once he has thrown the phone or put a hole in the wall. Perhaps you walk on eggshells, anticipating that you might set him off.

Him speaking to you the way he does is abusive as well. You do deserve to be treated with respect and kindness. You can google emotional abuse and you will probably relate to much of it.

You know, you don't need any other reason to separate from him other than you are not happy. If that were all it was, you could still ask him to leave. I understand you feel guilt, you'll hear that a lot on this forum. We are taught to be kind and compassionate to people who are having a hard time. Addiction is different in that the things you would find in a normal relationship just aren't there, most times it can be the opposite. All that aside, when abuse rears it's ugly head, all bets are off - to love and to cherish - he gave those vows as well.

Marriage is not meant to be a punishment.

Alcoholism/addiction is very selfish, I don't know him but it sounds to me like he is just spouting words to try to keep the status quo.
No I don't walk on eggshells but I used to for years - I found an old email to him saying just that from about 8 years ago. He chose the wrong woman to control - I confront him when he behaves in that manner. He said for years when calm that I had to stop chasing him down and confronting him as that made it worse. I tried so hard to stop doing it and finally now, I have stopped because I guess I don't care anymore.

I do what I want and say what I want and when he gets like that I just tell him he's being insane or weird and walk away for the most part. I used to follow up on it all but I don't anymore as there is no point - my pointing all of this out over years has never changed anything so I have given up, but I am not scared of him. I feel pitty for him for being in such internal turmoil that he would behave this way. I think it has to do with how he was raised with fear to control him and hitting etc and if not hits, then threats of hits that would last all day "just wait til your father gets home" thenhim wondering all day if he would get hit with a belt that night or not.

I do feel guilt - extreme guilt. Your line about the vow he took to love and cherish me made me cry last night - I never thought of that before! I just keep thinking I'll go to hell if I break myvows. I woke up a lot last night worrying about this all of this stuff I have an appt with a therpist next Friday to speak about it all and I have a consult with a divorce lawyer. I want to get all of the information before I do anything. I feel really confused now.
Old 09-08-2021, 06:08 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

It's good you are meeting with a therapist and a lawyer. Information is power and support is essential as you navigate the next steps of your journey.

Guilt is a real beast, no doubt. But I am pretty sure no one goes to hell for taking care of themselves and getting out of an abusive situation. I don't personally believe anyone goes there even if all they want is to be happy, and they have determined they can't be happy with the person they are with now. We're not on this earth very long, and wasting any time punishing ourselves out misplaced guilt is heartbreaking to me. You get to be happy. You get to be free from abuse. You get to be cherished and respected and treated like a human being. You don't have to feel guilty for wanting or pursuing those things.
Old 09-08-2021, 07:40 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SparkleKitty View Post
It's good you are meeting with a therapist and a lawyer. Information is power and support is essential as you navigate the next steps of your journey.

Guilt is a real beast, no doubt. But I am pretty sure no one goes to hell for taking care of themselves and getting out of an abusive situation. I don't personally believe anyone goes there even if all they want is to be happy, and they have determined they can't be happy with the person they are with now. We're not on this earth very long, and wasting any time punishing ourselves out misplaced guilt is heartbreaking to me. You get to be happy. You get to be free from abuse. You get to be cherished and respected and treated like a human being. You don't have to feel guilty for wanting or pursuing those things.
Thank you - you are right I guess the confusion for me is that a lot of the time, he is nice and supportive. He does love me - he doesn't try to do things you read about like control my behaviour, where I go, the money I spend etc. I'm a very independent woman and do as I please when I please. He supports my many endeavours and thinks I am very intelligent and hard working. He supports when I am tired with my genetic condition and need to lie down more some weeks than others. He supported me taking our daughter away from the abusive doctors in the UK and suddenly moving her to Canada - like I checked her out of the hospital on a Friday and moved her to Canada on the Sunday and he stayed behind and sold the house, the cars and all of our belongings as well as packed up our shipping container then moved to Canada. He has MANY good qualities and that's why this is so confusing!
Old 09-08-2021, 07:58 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
sage

It can be super confusing to get through this. My XABF was an amazing person, a creative and prolific artist, loving, dedicated to his child, with many good qualities. In the end, I broke it off because of the alcohol. That was the most important thing to him, to the extent that he chose that over me, every time. I wish I could say if he gets better, I'd want to try again, but I never knew him sober, and he made it clear he wasn't going to stop drinking. I wonder about the person he might have been without the addictions, but at the end of the day, it doesn't change the fact that he is not that person. He is an alcoholic, and that is what he chooses.

Old 09-08-2021, 08:07 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

It can be super confusing to get through this. My XABF was an amazing person, a creative and prolific artist, loving, dedicated to his child, with many good qualities. In the end, I broke it off because of the alcohol. That was the most important thing to him, to the extent that he chose that over me, every time. I wish I could say if he gets better, I'd want to try again, but I never knew him sober, and he made it clear he wasn't going to stop drinking. I wonder about the person he might have been without the addictions, but at the end of the day, it doesn't change the fact that he is not that person. He is an alcoholic, and that is what he chooses.
I have been with this man for 17 years - I moved across the world 15 years ago to be with him. He has been lying to me for 10 years so do I even know who he really is?! For many years, I had this niggling feeling that he was lying to me about who he was - like just in ever day conversations and stuff I felt like he was not being truthful about his feelings or something and that he is really a different person to what he portrays to the world. He lies to his parents on the phone every Sunday - changes his tone of voice and speaks as though life is great! I keep telling him he is just lying to people but he says people don't want to know the truth when the truth isn't good. I guess i should give him a short chance to see if he actually takes any action now that this is all out - if he does attend some virtual AA meetings for example .... and makes a conserted effort to face this head on - but then part of me thinks that as he has lied to me for 10 years how can I believe anything he says now and is that even forgiveable?! I guess it is an illness so maybe it is if he does change.....