Tricking a breathalyzer

Old 05-11-2021, 06:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tricking a breathalyzer

I'm a year in to trying to divorce my husband of what would have been 13 years. He is an alcoholic but dabbles in pills, shop lifting and other addictive behavior when using. He has been ordered by the court to do breathalyzer tests when he has our two kids for visitation. Somehow he has been able to send results of 0.00 through his BACTrac breathalyzer. I know he's still drinking so I have no idea how he's getting around it. The device is attached to his phone and sends a video of him blowing. Does anyone have any experience with this or know how he could be tricking the breathalyzer to send a negative result when he actually does have a BAC above 0? I'm worried for my kids safety. Right now he's not allowed to drive his kids (even though he does behind my back) and once he completes 3 months of no fail tests he will be able to drive them anywhere and have unsupervised visits. I'm scared.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

exintx......I don't know if this helps you....but, I just googled "tricking a BACTrac Breathalyzer", and a lot of information came up. I didn't read all of it...but, I did see one comment where the actual machine was registering zero, even after taking a drink. The company sent that person another one for free..and it did the same thing.
I suppose that it is possible that the actual mechanism is defunct from the point of manufacture. Or, that the matching may not be properly calibrated.
If you can gather some of this information, I suggest that you might contact your own lawyer, right away, so that maybe he could present this to the court and ask for another way of monitoring him.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just a thought but if he dabbles in pills, what's to stop him from using other drugs on days when he has the children? Perhaps drug testing is in order as well?

Another idea might be to be dropping the children off yourself so you can at least somewhat judge the situation? This, of course, would only be a short-term measure, just to put your mind at ease or at least get a look at the actual situation and be able to use your judgement. Perhaps you could discuss possible drug testing with your lawyer as well.