Let's be thankful

Old 02-19-2021, 09:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Let's be thankful

In my early recovery days in Al-Anon I was talking to my sponsor, crying and venting and in the middle of our conversation she stopped me by saying "What are you thankful for today?". I was thinking, what is this lady talking about.... so I asked "what do you mean?". She said "What are you thankful for today? There must be something." Still caught up in my crying and wanting to vent I could not comprehend her question. I guess she figured out I was confused from my silence. So she explained to me "When you are down, feeling like the world is closing in on you stop...breathe....reach out to your higher power....count your daily blessings. They can be big blessings, small blessings because every day IS a blessing. So I ask you again, what are you thankful for today?" On that particular day the only thing that came to mind was my DD who was only 3 at the time. So my sponsor told me to focus on that, which I did. To my pleasant surprise my entire mood changed, at least for that day.

During the years my RAH was actively drinking I used her question over and over, what am I thankful for today because today is a blessing. To help calm myself during these very tough days I repeat the serenity prayer until I feel a calmness come over me then I make a mental list of all the positive things just for that day. This helped me thru some really tough and rough days! The best part is I can carry this into daily life, in any situation that is not in my control.

So I ask you.....What are you thankful for today???

~Knowthetriggers
Old 02-19-2021, 09:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice share Knowthetriggers. Today I am thankful for my kids, A safe place to call home. All the knowledgeable and helpful people here at SR.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Today I’m thankful for people in my life, my dog, a safe place to live in, my financial possibilities, opportunities, for my improvement in accepting the circumstances around me, for being able to start letting go of the things I can’t control, for this forum and people on it, for my health (mental and physical).
Old 02-19-2021, 09:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This was very helpful today as AH was fired from his job of 25 years this morning.

I am very thankful for my great job, my kids and that's it's a beautiful sunny (cold) day out!
Old 02-19-2021, 11:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm thankful I have a loving God, decent job, a wonderful MIL, great co-workers, a sweet dog, and this group to cone to when I feel alone in my situation.

Thank you for this post/reminder all is not a big pile of poop because I have an AH on my life.
Old 02-19-2021, 11:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Great post KnowTheTriggers!

I'm thankful for God, Family, my amazing pup, my roof over my head and an amazing boss/job!

I'm also thankful for SR a place I have been a long time and have left knowing I can always come back to amazing people
Old 02-19-2021, 12:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for your inspiring post and a wonderful reminder.

I am thankful and grateful for a life that is full of blessings
and gifts that come along each and everyday that I wake
up to a new day.

Sobriety and this recovery lifeline, SR, to hold onto when
practicing distancing and protection from the outside world.

Health, happiness, my marriage and my garden of paradise
that I took time to cover and protect before this past Winter
storm, saving everything that brings me so much joy and
happiness in retirement.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wonderful thread KTT.

Gratitude took me awhile to figure out. I have so much but often feel guilty instead of grateful for what I have. I steer clear of some things as I just wind up feeling badly for folks who don't have basics.

Today I'm grateful

- that antidepressants help me
-my Dad didn't have a bad reaction to his 2nd covid shot
-for being a bit busy which keeps my depression at bay
- for people who work hard to make the world better in the face of horrific odds

Perhaps you all know this but it does bear reminding for anyone who isn't familiar with the gratitude area of Soberrecovery. Gratitude is generally so huge in terms of recovery and mental health that there is an entire area here on the Soberrecovery Website. Within the Gratitude Area of SR, there is a Morning Gratitude, and Bedtime Gratitude and several other categories. It is worth checking out. I post most nights on the Bedtime Gratitude. Come on over and make it a habit!
Old 02-19-2021, 07:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Today I'm thankful for power, plumbing, and the snow that stopped falling. (from Oklahoma. )
Old 02-22-2021, 08:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Today I am grateful for having a good job (that I can do from home), a roof over my head, and food on my table.