Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

How does the alcoholic recover after jailed, fired, and no car?

Old 01-21-2021, 02:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fired. Jailed. Felon. Broke. No license. No car.
Even if he does sober up, and even if he does find a new job, how does he get there?
Seems like once you've self destructed, it is ten times harder to carry on a normal life.
One is hamstrung which makes life even harder than before the self-destruction.
How does one escape the vortex? Take the bus?
Old 01-21-2021, 02:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not easy, but I take the bus everywhere. Maybe 10 times harder but not self'destruction....
By looking to a simpler life,less troublesome friends,and new and better pursuits you may well find peace.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KnowAFew View Post
Not trying to help anyone. Only he can help himself. On the path of total self-destruction. I know to steer clear.
I'm not sure how this statement fits with all of the questions you're asking in your threads.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am a curious person. I have many questions.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KnowAFew View Post
Fired. Jailed. Felon. Broke. No license. No car.
Even if he does sober up, and even if he does find a new job, how does he get there?
Seems like once you've self destructed, it is ten times harder to carry on a normal life.
One is hamstrung which makes life even harder than before the self-destruction.
How does one escape the vortex? Take the bus?
Probably could find better answers from a recovering alcoholic that has faced overcoming these things.
But I would imagine rebuilding your life is much more productive sober. After all abusing alcohol is what got them there right? Pretty unlikely staying in active addiction would get them out of it, logically speaking. Sober life isn't rainbows and butterflies-anyone can attest to that but at least recovery decreases the likelihood of digging themselves deeper in problems.
And yes, bus, taxi, uber for example is how they could get transportation.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

KAF......I respectfully suggest that your questions might have a more personal basis than mere random curiosity.
Of course, I am not against curiosity.....since it is one thing that propels our species forward, lol.
But, most people come to this forum because of someone in their life that they deeply care about that is causing pain in their life due to an alcohol use disorder. It feels personal, in that context.
All of us have been there, in the belly of that beast, in one way or another. We are familiar with that pain,,,,that kind or worry....that kind of concern.

I'm just saying.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Perhaps your Brother?

Anyway, to answer your questions, find work where no reference or police check will be done and take the bus. Many people do this, I have read their stories in the other forum. They figure they got themselves in to this and now they will rebuild and they do and it's hard but they do it anyway.

Old 01-21-2021, 09:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There are some amazing stories amongst recovering alcoholics who do indeed come back from very bad situations. Each story is probably a bit different. I wish these stories were more common as many never do make it back to a normal life. Very sad.

Also some amazing stories here of people who manage to untangle themselves from someone they love who is choosing to destroy their own life.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Getting into recovery, staying in recovery can help reverse
and repair damages done from the past. Incorporate recovery
tools, a program of recovery in all areas of ones life staying
connected to recovery lifelines where support, care and
understanding is mostly available to put a halt to the insanity
that comes with addiction.

Old 01-22-2021, 05:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

First of all, not all jail time is for felonious crimes...many more are probably misdemeanors.
That said, overcoming transportation issues will be much easier than overcoming a record of being convicted of a felony. Both of those are probably easier than staying sober.

I had a colleague who had received alternative sentencing for her drug conviction. She ended up in our city because "that was the halfway house [she] was sent to after rehab." Some years later, she admitted she was using -again- while working with us. None of us had any idea. She was even sponsoring another person in AA.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When feeding their addiction, addicts can be the most resourceful people on the planet. The more obstacles between them and their drug of choice, the more resourceful and creative they can get.

Hopefully, they can apply that same level of resourcefulness and creativity to sorting their issues out (both practical and emotional) in recovery.