Husband doesn't communicate much

Old 01-16-2021, 07:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Husband doesn't communicate much

My husband has been sober since December 28th. He is attending AA 3 times a week and seeing a therapist individually and as a couple with me.

He doesn't share his feelings or thoughts much. He says he feels good or is fine when I ask him any questions, but that is where the communication ends. Any words of advice?
Old 01-16-2021, 08:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Learning, I'm glad to hear your husband has sought help for his alcohol addiction issues. I hope he sticks with it and can regain his health.

He is still very, very early into his recovery journey. He probably isn't ready to talk about it just yet. He is likely working through a lot of things in his head, as well as battling back his compulsion to drink. This is a new way of being for him, he needs to get used to it.

I'm not sure what it is you are asking advice about. Do you want advice on how to make your husband communicate? Because if that's what you are asking, I don't think their is a suitable answer. He should get to decide how much and what he wants to share, and with whom.

I understand that as his wife you just want to be as supportive as you can be. Now he is sober you want to talk to him and help him through this difficult transition period. I get that!!! The problem is, this is something he has to figure out on his own. The early recovery period can be very stressful for spouses. Are you getting any help for yourself? Do you have support other than your husband? Have you considered Alanon? Have you read "Codependent No More" ?
Old 01-16-2021, 09:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am reading Codependency for Dummies. I too am going to one on one therapy sessions. Have realized I need to dive into spending more time with supportive positive friends who are good listeners. I plan to check out an Alanon online support meeting before attending something in person.

Thank you for your words and support.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Is he not communicating about anything at all, or just sobriety related stuff? I met my husband at work, where he was a pretty quiet guy, but get some booze in him and he would come to life and just talk and talk. When we quit drinking 6 years ago, he reverted back to his quiet self.

Maybe this is just his true nature...being quiet. It is definitely not mine, as I talk too much. Mine has gotten better over the years, but nowhere near his chatting drinking self. Its worth the trade off. Drinking him wasn't much fun.

I would just give him time. Getting used to being sober can be very uncomfortable 🙃
Old 01-16-2021, 01:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Learningnewways View Post
I plan to check out an Alanon online support meeting before attending something in person.
Almost all meetings are on Zoom right now. I'm happy to help you find the meetings in your area if you'd like. Feel free to PM me.
Old 01-17-2021, 01:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Leaving him alone and putting the focus on you and your wellbeing is the healthiest way for both you and him.

I also recommend Al-anon. Fantastic life changer for me.

The book "Codependency No More" is like a Bible to me! Another enormous life changer and improver for me.

Sending best wishes to you.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Learningnewways View Post
My husband has been sober since December 28th. He is attending AA 3 times a week and seeing a therapist individually and as a couple with me.

He doesn't share his feelings or thoughts much. He says he feels good or is fine when I ask him any questions, but that is where the communication ends. Any words of advice?
Support your husband during this difficult period of rehabilitation from alcohol addiction. If he doesn't want to talk to you, just hold him and sit with him.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Has this topic come up in your couples session? That might be a good place to
explore it. I agree that sobriety/recovery is a difficult phase for couples. Lots
of patience and understanding needed from both sides, especially the
first year or two. For me, alanon was absolutely necessary to navigate those
difficult times.