Struggling with all this

Old 01-12-2021, 12:45 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

WOW! we have a rhinoceros, an astronaut, and i suspect trail is a diamond studded movie star. LOL. Why we may never know if he has been clean or not. Addicts are good at hiding it as we know. But the odds are not in his favor. The way he is acting is not someone who is in recovery.

Just remember to look after yourself. Focus on things that bring you happiness and keep posting and being strong.
Old 01-12-2021, 01:49 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
Here’s the thing: words don’t mean anything if they’re not backed up by reality. Addicts are often brilliant with words because it’s a survival mechanism...”But I love you” can get them out of a whole bunch of jams. And I think because women in particular are so programmed by romcoms and Disney and romantic novels we’re even more susceptible to having words mean everything...far more than actions.

I don’t even believe it’s always a conscious decision on the addict’s part. He was keeping you as a backup plan and telling you words accomplished that. He’s probably telling her the same thing. It’s entirely possible that he’s found a third woman by now who he’s charming.

Addicts always need a Plan B and most are looking for something on the outside that will magically fix their insides. So every new relationship might be that magic solution...but then that person turns out to be...human. The horror!

I see women (and men) spend endless obsessive hours trying to parse their qualifier’s words like they’re the clue that would make everything make sense...it’s like the Rosetta Stone of codependency. Hey, I’ve been there. The fact is that none of the words make any difference and all analyzing them over and over does is keep us stuck, because it doesn’t make sense, it never did, and it never will.

Please try to redirect your thoughts when you go down that path? You only have so much time on this planet. Try not to waste it parsing his blather. (And for the record, if he’s been clean all this time, I’m a rhinoceros.)

Focus on YOU, yes?
You are so right, Aries! And do see know how silly I was believing those words even in the moment of understanding the words are just words I kept believing it. He got away with a lot of stuff, and that’s definitely my fault to let that happened. But I learned from that.

Yeees, I do try to focus on myself no matter how hard it is.
Old 01-12-2021, 01:53 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

You made me laugh guys😄
I know it sounds all crazy if he is indeed not consuming. And of course I can not guarantee that.

But when I read his messages in WS there was no hint of him consuming: no contacting old friends, no messages of buying stuff. Idk, of course he can call and do that. Besides he goes all the time to the rehab, because he says they are like his fam and I guess he even helps with work there and assist groups regularly. This b**ch psychologist also writes him msgs like “I know for you the most important is to save your life, that’s why you stopped.”

So idk, am I gullible to think that if he assists to the groups and goes to rehab then he doesn’t consume?
Old 01-12-2021, 03:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Mashabo......It is possible that he is doing some kind of 12th step work---around the rehab. That doesn't gurantee that he would be sober and clean all of the time. The point is, that you have no guarantee of anything that he tells you. Does his "psychologist" have a PhD.? If so, from what University? (see what I mean). Titles at a rehab are often thrown around, casually
Old 01-12-2021, 04:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

There are serious rehab facilities and there are revolving door rehabs that count on return customers for revenue. Dunno...but if I were a dealer I would certainly set up shop near a sketchy rehab. Given this facility’s screening standards for their staff, I’m thinking this is one toward the sketchy end of the spectrum. So I’m back toward rhinocerosness, myself.

Old 01-12-2021, 04:45 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Don't forget either- people who divorce don't necessarily do it because they don't love one another. I loved my husband very much - but I didn't want to live with an alcoholic any more. Came close to divorce twice. I chickened out the first time, and the second time he told me he was terminally ill.

You husband married you? It worked for a while? Just because he loves alcohol more doesn't mean he didn't love you. And in a year, when his current situation crashes and burns, what do you bet there's a journal with him waxing poetic about how much he regrets letting you go? It's all about the dream, not reality.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:01 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
This thread is a gem.

Yes, I don't believe he's sober either. Also, when you do ponder what he does and says and how happy he must be with this woman, never forget, she has "that" guy. The guy who is mean and miserable and says and does terrible things. That's him, she doesn't have some improved version of him. He might be able to charm her for a little while, but that will quickly wear off.

It's really destructive to you to idealize how he is now. Clean and sober! Living with a new woman! Kind and sweet and loving! Yeah, that's not the story here.
Thank you, trailmix, you calmed me down with this msg. That’s a 100% true - he is that guy! Not better in anyway.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:03 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ironwill View Post
WOW! we have a rhinoceros, an astronaut, and i suspect trail is a diamond studded movie star. LOL. Why we may never know if he has been clean or not. Addicts are good at hiding it as we know. But the odds are not in his favor. The way he is acting is not someone who is in recovery.

Just remember to look after yourself. Focus on things that bring you happiness and keep posting and being strong.

Definitely, ironwill, the odds are not in his favor and I agree. And he may have become even better at hiding stuff
Old 01-12-2021, 09:14 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Mashabo......It is possible that he is doing some kind of 12th step work---around the rehab. That doesn't gurantee that he would be sober and clean all of the time. The point is, that you have no guarantee of anything that he tells you. Does his "psychologist" have a PhD.? If so, from what University? (see what I mean). Titles at a rehab are often thrown around, casually
Sure thing, there is no guarantee of absolutely nothing. I am not sure his “psychologist” even has master degree 😄
Old 01-12-2021, 09:17 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
There are serious rehab facilities and there are revolving door rehabs that count on return customers for revenue. Dunno...but if I were a dealer I would certainly set up shop near a sketchy rehab. Given this facility’s screening standards for their staff, I’m thinking this is one toward the sketchy end of the spectrum. So I’m back toward rhinocerosness, myself.
Yep, true. I’ve started questioning that place even before I found out about “professionalism” of that “psychologist”. Something seemed off.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:28 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by velma929 View Post
Don't forget either- people who divorce don't necessarily do it because they don't love one another. I loved my husband very much - but I didn't want to live with an alcoholic any more. Came close to divorce twice. I chickened out the first time, and the second time he told me he was terminally ill.

You husband married you? It worked for a while? Just because he loves alcohol more doesn't mean he didn't love you. And in a year, when his current situation crashes and burns, what do you bet there's a journal with him waxing poetic about how much he regrets letting you go? It's all about the dream, not reality.
Definitely, get what you mean. And though he had no reason for his divorce decision he said some stupid thing that now sounds funny, he said “it’s not a decision, it’s a reality.”. He even involved God in it, like “I didn’t know what to tell you but I think God let me know and it’s his will.” Always easy to put responsibility on someone else whether it’s me, family or God