Happy @&!$白?$ Thanksgiving

Old 11-28-2020, 07:24 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Tacotuesday just reminded me of something that I tend to forget---and, I'll bet that others do, also-----is that WE remember everything that happened and every word that was said-----however, much of the tifme-----The alcoholic DOES NOT! Alcohol wipes out much of the short-term memory---and, if they are very intoxicated----they will have total blackout of memory. It is like it didn't even happen, to them.

I see. all of the time, here on the forum. where the non-alcoholic says "This morning, he acted like nothing ever happened!"
It really is frustrating -----and, as long as I have been around alcoholism----I still forget and have to remind myself that they have the short term memory of a fruit fly--lol.
Thank you Dandy, that is a very important point to underline.

ALSO... even during his dry spells, my AXH's memory was SHOT, and his cognitive function was beginning to slip as well (in his early 40s then) If they have poisoned themselves enough times, even when they aren't drunk, the damage is still present. It's very sad.
Old 11-30-2020, 12:52 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pizza67 View Post
He will just keep going and going and escalate to massive blowouts involving everyone. How do you guys NOT TAKE THE BAIT?
Don't play. His behavior is NOT your responsibility. He will do what he wants to do.

My XAH would ask me question after question after question. Every answer I gave was wrong. Eventually I realized that it was easier not to play drunken mind games with a drunk. Divorcing him solved this problem, as well as many others.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:11 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LLLisa View Post
Don't play...My XAH would ask me question after question after question. Every answer I gave was wrong. Eventually I realized that it was easier not to play drunken mind games with a drunk. Divorcing him solved this problem, as well as many others.
I finally caught on. I remember when I figured it out: We had a truck that was only used once every several weeks. One day AH said he was thinking about getting rid of it, as it seemed an unnecessary expense. I agreed. Somehow it devolved into an argument with him saying, "You can't make me get rid of the truck."