Sober Anniversary Help

Old 09-28-2020, 11:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Sober Anniversary Help

Hi all!

I hope this is okay to post here, I'm just hoping for some advice.

It is my significant other's first sober anniversary in October, although I'm not sure which date counts, should it be the last day he drank or the first day he didn't?

I'm super proud of him and want to do something nice and get him a gift to celebrate, does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-28-2020, 11:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there,

I think most of us count our sober days starting from our 1st day sober. At least I do.

Rather than highlight alcohol (and the absence of it) by making it evident in your gesture, why not just do something unrelated entirely? I'm sure he'd also really dig if you just gave him a big hug and a big juicy and told him how much you love him.

Old 09-29-2020, 04:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BlueCurtains1 View Post
I'm super proud of him and want to do something nice and get him a gift to celebrate, does anybody have any ideas?
I imagine that most of us understand how proud you are, but it's really important that you let his accomplishment be his completely. His fellow meeting-goers are the people who are in the best position to give him the most helpful and appropriate amount of celebration. Recovering alcoholics do not need sobriety gifts from us, they only need our love. Our real love. Love stands for:

Let
Others
Voluntarily
Evolve

Working on yourself and letting him work on himself is the best gift that you can ever give him.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I always acknowledge DH sobriety birthday. Different ways,a text or phone call telling him I am proud of him or a nice card. I have taken him to dinner (usually the weekend after the actual anniversary). It is about the only time I bring it up or we "discuss" it unless he is telling me about some meeting or issue he is working through with his sponsor (in which case, I just listen). I have stayed far, far away from him journey, but do think progress does merit acknowledgement.

DH's brother got him this for his 5 year anniversary.

https://smile.amazon.com/Leather-Key...1405049&sr=8-3