Taking the invitation

Old 12-04-2004, 08:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Taking the invitation

If someone invited you to dinner, and you went, even though you didn't like the company, the restaraunt, or the food, would that be the person who invited you's fault? What if that were the only way you knew to get something to eat? You felt that if you didn't do it, you would starve.

This is how I have felt most of my life. I blamed the people in my life because I wasn't happy. But I felt I was forced to continue doing what I was doing, or I would be alone. And by alone I mean lonely, broke, scared, and unhappy.

Recovery has offered me a new option. I can go to a different restaurant, with people that I like. I can try different food, some I like, some I don't. But at least I have options. I can deal with the person who used to invite me without resentment and blame. I don't feel trapped anymore.

I used to think that I needed to stop doing what I was doing, but I couldn't. I didn't know how to do anything else. Al-Anon has offered me new ways to deal with my life. Trying new things is not comfortable, and usually awkward and clumsy. But not trying new things keeps me trapped. Today I have choices. That is a much better place to be. Hugs, Magic
Old 12-04-2004, 10:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

To quote The Eagles..."so oftentimes it happens, that we live our lives in chains, and we never even know we have the key."
Old 12-04-2004, 10:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great analogy Magic.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dee at Mt Bully

wow--what a great perspective Magic--You are so right we really can make a dicision
to make ourselves happy. It's really up to each and everyone of us. Your words are
good for me today. Thank you--Smiles--Dee
Old 12-05-2004, 09:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You're right, Magic. Just understanding that I have choices opens up a whole new world. Understanding that I am good enough to make those choices myself without anyone else's permission makes my life so much better.
Thanks for the post -
L