Wants to end life

Old 09-20-2020, 01:45 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
nez

Hummimngbird358, my heart goes out to you at this stressful time.
he is not even 30 days sober so his mind will be all over the place
Is it an expectation of yours that the reality expressed in this quote would somehow be different?
Old 09-20-2020, 03:14 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hummingbird358 View Post
I so wanted to SCREAM if you would do sober living you would NOT be alone! BUT I bit my tongue because it makes things even worse.. Husband said to stop trying to control him...
Great God almighty it must be tough to let go when the qualifier is your own kid . . . . of course your husband is right. We can't control these people. Watching them make bad decisions sucks beyond sucks.

I hope you can keep breathing and detaching to the best of your ability Humming . . . big hug for you.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:32 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hummingbird358 View Post
He said his emotional mind and his rational mind are at war.
We told him he is not even 30 days sober so his mind will be all over the place... why not wait for a few months and see if things become more clear.
YES! That is how I stopped drinking, by researching and realising the emotional mind and rational mind were at war! So he's making some progress. There are other ways, but ultimately I used Rational Recovery AVRT. The emotional mind wants to drink, the rational mind doesn't. The treatment is self-treatment, realising that the emotional mind can only 'ask' the rational mind to drink, but it is only the rational mind that can pick-up and drink, so it can IGNORE the emotional mind,
Old 09-22-2020, 05:13 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Recovery only works if the addict/alcoholic has a strong personal desire to stay sober and is willing to do the hard work of not drinking one day at a time. Add to that a program like AA. Speaking as a recovering alcoholic (29 years) I can assure you that there's nothing you can say or do that will affect him. But you are allowing him to dominate your life in a negative fashion. I recommend increasing Alanon meetings. And, get a sponsor and do the steps, which make the real difference.
Old 09-22-2020, 02:49 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Sending you lots of support and many hugs friend!