Concerned about my alcoholic brother's physical health

Old 06-22-2020, 04:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Concerned about my alcoholic brother's physical health

Hi all! I cant seem to find any information on Google about this issue, so I thought I'd try here.

My older brother (32) is a recovering alcoholic living in a sober house that seems relatively strict. I'm not sure whether he's drinking or not, but he claims he's been sober for a year since his last relapse.

My concern is that every time I see him, his appearance has changed dramatically. The main area of change is his stomach. One day ill see him and he'll look normal, then a month later I'll see him and his stomach will be HUGE. Like think of a woman pregnant with twins (not trying to be rude, just not sure how else to describe it.) Then in another 3 weeks he'll be back to normal, and so on.

I'm wondering if anybody has ever experienced this, or seen it in someone else, and could give me some insight? I know there isn't much I can do if hes drinking again... but the issue is still concerning me.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-22-2020, 06:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Concerned. Welcome to Soberrecovery. I'm glad you found us.

I've never heard of the physical symptoms you describe. Have you asked him about it?
Old 06-22-2020, 06:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can't diagnose your brother, of course, but in the later stages of my own brother's drinking, he also had a hugely distended abdomen. He ended up in ICU for weeks due to complications from cirrhosis, and the doctors there said the abdominal distension was due to ascites, or fluid buildup. They had to drain the fluids repeatedly, and this continued for a long time (weeks?) until he healed somewhat.

Definitely not sure what is going on with your brother...it could be something entirely different...but this was my experience.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello Concerned Parrot

Sorry to hear of the situation. I am not a doctor, all I can share is my personal experience on this.

My AH has a similar sounding issue with his stomach. His doctors said is fluid build up as his own body is not unable to drain it away as it would in a healthy body. Ascites as the member above mentions.

By coincidence, AH and I were talking about it yesterday, he was telling me how very uncomfortable it feels. Especially after a meal. I could see the skin pulled very tight and huge bloating. Very round and looked as if pregnant about to give birth. It weighs on his other internal organs. Makes breathing a struggle too.

Old 06-23-2020, 01:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi ConcernedParrot,
Yes, have seen this many times with alcoholic patients in the ER. Not giving medical advice or diagnosing here, only an MD can confirm the problem, but likely it is associated with liver disease/cirrhosis. As others mentioned it's called ascites and it is a result of liver damage. It can be a problem even after a person has stopped drinking.

Does your bro see a doctor at all? Treatments focus on slowing down the progression of scar tissue formation in the liver, and also there are treatments to help with the symptoms: like draining that fluid, and medications to reduce the pressure in the blood vessels of the liver, and to help the body eliminate built up toxins that are usually handled by a healthy liver. It's a good idea to be monitored when you have liver disease, before more serious complications arise.

As with anything, it is up to your bro to decide if he wants to take care of his health and his body. We can nudge and suggest, but without any expectation that they will follow through on helping themselves.

Peace,
B.