SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Sobrrecovery Book Club (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/4478-sobrrecovery-book-club.html)

JT 07-04-2002 05:26 AM

Sobrrecovery Book Club

Hey...How about starting a Book Club? We could have all of our favorite recovery related reading in one spot!!

I will start;

Co-Dependant No More by Melody Beattie

Beyond Codependancy by Melody Beattie

There is a Spiriual Solution to Every Problem by Wayne W. Dyer

Wisdom of the Ages by Wayne W. Dyer

The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie

The Courage to Change

One Day At A Time in Al Anon

How Al Anon Works for Family ad Friends of Alcoholics

You can help SoberRecovery by buying any of these books at Amazon.com simply by clicking here: <A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?tag=soberrecovery-20&path=tg/browse/-/10">Health, Mind & Body</A>

Ann 07-04-2002 05:06 PM

Great post JT -

Your "Courage To Change" is by Dennis Wholey, and I will add "The Miracle of Change" also by him.

The AA Big Book - great for codependents too

Codependents' Guide To The Twelve Steps - by Melody Beattie

Finding Your Way Home (A Soul Survival Kit) - by Melody Beattie

The Bible - especially the book of Psalms. -

The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale

You can help SoberRecovery by buying any of these books at Amazon.com simply by clicking here:<A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?tag=soberrecovery-20&path=tg/browse/-/10">Health, Mind & Body</A>

Morning Glory 07-04-2002 05:38 PM

The Bible
God

My Utmost for His Highest Daily Devotional
Oswald Chambers

Hinds' Feet on High Places
Hannah Hurnard

God Uses Cracked Pots
Patsy Clairmont

Men Who Hate Women and the Women Who Love Them
Susan Forward,Joan Torres

Star Trek
Gene Roddenberry

mo 07-04-2002 06:53 PM

Hi All

Just read "Traveling Light" by Max Lucado. It is based on the 23rd Psalm and I highly recommend it. It is so gentle and soothing. Love Mo

Jon 07-05-2002 09:12 AM

But wait, there's more...

The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Huff

Keep It Simple by Hazelden

New Pair of Glasses by Chuck C.

Awakening To The Sacred-Building a Spritual Life from Scratch by Lama Surya Das

and an old favorite, The Twenty-Four Hour a Day Book

Get any of these books at Amazon by clicking here: <A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?tag=soberrecovery-20&path=tg/browse/-/10">Health, Mind & Body</A>

:okay:

smoke gets in my eyes 07-05-2002 03:58 PM

The Seashell People:Growing Up in Adulthood, Martha Horton

I love the Tao of Pooh, too! And all of the poetry and stories of AA Milne that inspired it.:cool:

MG your last post reminded me of when I used to work in a book warehouse. I was taking a customer's list over the phone, and she asked for "The Holy Bible". I asked for the author's name (meaning, the main editor of the version she wanted). The startled woman paused for a minute, then said "God."

Ann 07-09-2002 04:20 PM

Moving this back up and will try to "sticky" it. It is a great reference for newcomers or people who need something new to read.

Most are avaiable at libraries...so you don't have to spend a lot of money.

Terryb39 07-18-2002 05:08 AM

Out of the Rough, by Laura Baugh

The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success, by Deepak Chopra

A Woman's Way Through the Twelve Steps, by Stephanie Covington

The Spiritual Self, by Abraham Twerski

Excellent Idea!!!!!!!!!

marie 07-18-2002 09:51 PM

Here are two that helped me enormously.

UNDER THE INFLUENCE by Milam & Ketcham

GETTING THEM SOBER - YOU CAN HELP by Toby Drews

Paulie 08-05-2002 01:19 PM

Life Strategies by Phil Mc Graw - (anything by Dr. Phil I like)

The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz

shrecky 08-07-2002 11:27 AM

"The four agreements" is a wonderful book Pauline!
For those with dpression "the happy handbook" (not sure about the author, it's a man and he's a doctor) is GREAT!

Ogly 08-10-2002 11:45 AM

I carry the four agreements with me every where I go......I also recommend:

Conversations with God - volume 1

Finding your north star - Martha Beck

In the Meantime by Iyanla Vanzant

Who moved my cheese - Spencer Johnson, MD

Addictive Thinking and the Addictive Personality - Abraham J Twerski, Cragi Nakken

tuesdays with Morrie, Mitch Albom

The seven dumbest relationship mistakes smart people make - Carylon Bushong

When your moment comes - by Dan Pallotta

The Mastery of Love - Don Miguel Ruiz

blackpearl 08-11-2002 08:30 AM

WHERE CAN I BUY A BOOK LIKE THESE?

Morning Glory 08-11-2002 08:37 AM

blackpearl,

You can get these books, and help SoberRecovery, by clicking here: <A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?tag=soberrecovery-20&path=tg/browse/-/10">Health, Mind & Body</A>

Hugs,

MG

smoke gets in my eyes 08-11-2002 08:41 AM

Hi Blackpearl!

If you like to shop online, use hazelden.com or amazon.com to find these books. There are Hazelden links on this site and the administrators would very much appreciate it if you connected through them... it helps this site!

Personally, I like to do the used- book store thing. My recovery has a budget... LOL! I generally go armed with a list of books and author's names... but I browse the self-help and addiction sections, too. I have found some of the best things that way.

Happy reading!
Hugs,
Smoke

Ogly 08-11-2002 09:31 AM

All the books I listed are avialalbe through barnes and noble or BN.com......

Ogly

margo 08-18-2002 12:21 AM

Some of my favourites, not necessarily recovery-related, but still great reads:

The Path To Love - Deepak Chopra

The House of the Spirits - Isabel Allende (also an excellent movie with Meryl Streep, Jeremy Irons, Glenn Close, Winona Ryder, and Antonio Banderos - yum yum :D)

Goddesses For Every Season - Nancy Blair

Women Who Run With the Wolves - Clarissa Pinkola Estes

Conversations with God (Book 1) - Neale Donald Walsch

Isak Dinesen The Life of a Storyteller - Judith Thurman (Dinesen's life story was also told in the movie "Out of Africa")

Illuminata - Marianne Williamson

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe - Fannie Flagg

Journey of the Heart - John Welwood

I Know This Much Is True - Wally Lamb

She's Come Undone - Wally Lamb

Darkness Visible - William Styron

Alice In Wonderland - Lewis Carroll

How To Turn Your Ex-Boyfriend Into a Toad - Athena Starwoman (this is for no-harm fun ONLY - no offence meant to the guys :D)

<A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?tag=soberrecovery-20&path=tg/browse/-/10">Health, Mind & Body</A>

I should stop now as I could go on and on. I love a good read with my feet up, a cig, and a cup of tea! Smoke - I used to live in Seattle and there was a wonderful used-book store in the University District. There was a fat black cat who slept in the window and overstuffed armchairs and couches throughout the store. You could take your coffee in with you and spend all day browsing and reading if you wanted to. It was definitely one of my favourite places to go.

shrecky 08-19-2002 12:15 PM

The artist way is also very good!

Ann 08-19-2002 08:45 PM

"A Prayer For Owen Meany" by John Irvine (also from Toronto)

This book, by the author of "The Ciderhouse Rules" and "The World According to Gorp", is one of my favourite books of any I have read.

It is a novel, rather than a "how to" recovery book, but it is so funny/sad/emotional and spiritual all at the same time. It is just GREAT reading. And it teaches many many lessons relevant to our recovery.

No kidding, it's really, really, really good.

Paulie 08-20-2002 07:37 AM

I am going to jump in here at recommend a book that our friend Ann recommened to me and I just read it and loved it.

Playing It by Heart by Melodie Beatie (the author of Co-dependent NO more). I did not know she was an addict also. It has helped me learn about not only my co by also about my Addict self more. It may help some of you learn more about your A's also.

Thanks again Ann :)