In Search of Who I Am....And Who I Can Be

Old 12-02-2004, 08:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
{tap}{tap}...Is this thing on?

In Search of Who I Am....And Who I Can Be

All the arts we practice are apprenticeship. The big art is our life.
--M. C. Richards

What you do is not who you are.

You are more, much more, than that.

It's easy to get so caught up in what we do that we're only identifying ourselves through our daily tasks. I am a mechanic. I am a parking lot attendant. I am a doctor. I am a dishwasher. When we link ourselves too closely to our jobs, we deny ourselves the chance to ever be anything else. We limit ourselves by believing that's all we are and all we'll ever be.

Our concept of who we are is one of the hardest, but most rewarding, ideas we can change. If you have been brought up believing that you are clumsy, you will probably demonstrate this belief in your actions until you identify that idea, let go of it, and let yourself be something else.

Don't limit yourself by saying you are just what you do. Stop seeing yourself as a static being. If I am just a parking lot attendant, then how can I hope to ever influence someone through my words, my art, my music, and my life? But if I am a vital, living, growing soul who happens to be parking people's cars, then everything I do can become a symphony. I can have an influence for good in the lives of everyone I touch. I can learn from them and they from me. I can learn the lessons that I am supposed to learn at this place in my life, and I can move on to other lessons.

God gave us the power to change. You're more than what you do. You're a vital vibrant soul that came here to experience, grow, and change. Make a masterpiece out of your life.

God, help me realize the glory of my soul. Thank you for my mortality and for the ability to learn and grow.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you ((((Petunia!)))))))))))
Old 12-02-2004, 12:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Always my pleasure and ((((()))))) right back at ya!
Old 12-02-2004, 07:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

God gave us the power to change. You're more than what you do. You're a vital vibrant soul that came here to experience, grow, and change. Make a masterpiece out of your life.

God, help me realize the glory of my soul. Thank you for my mortality and for the ability to learn and grow.

I love "you're a vital vibrant soul that came here to experience, grow and change. Make a masterpiece out of your life."

This one goes on the fridge.

Thank you for sharing this and reminding me.

Hugs, Kathy
Old 12-02-2004, 07:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

We aren't what we do.
We're what we dream.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

You're a vital vibrant soul that came here to experience, grow, and change. Make a masterpiece out of your life.
Kathy, I like that too. A lot.

Hugs
Ann
Old 12-03-2004, 02:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What you do is not who you are.

You are more, much more, than that.
Very good timing on this part for me!!!
A friend did something that hurt me very badly a few years back. They've done about everything possible to make it up to me but I still hold onto the pain that they caused me. They have pointed out to me (repeatedly) what they have done to make things right with me. I think that I am so used to the repeated disappointments, lies, etc from AH that I've rather held this against my friends. Your post is big reminder to me that we can make a mistake without that being who we are. Sadly, I haven't been listening to my friend when they've been trying to tell me that very same thing. For some reason, when I read that part of your post, I just heard it differently. Perhaps because I thought my friend was trying to manipulate me into believing what they said? Or maybe because I was disappointed in them? The point I'm getting at is that I really do need to work on forgiveness - and not making others pay for being human when my doubts and insecurities are from my AH and not them personally.
Old 12-04-2004, 03:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

SS,

You are so totally cool. I reread that post just now and focused on what you pointed out. Last night I came home to a notice from the bank that an automatic payment had been returned for insufficient funds. I had used the wrong account to pay the bill. I was a failure. Tonight I get online and read your post and am pushed to reread this thought and what a blessing. I am not what I do - I am not a mistake. I am human. Thank you for shifting the angle of the light - it made a difference in how I saw things.

Peace,
Petunia
Old 12-04-2004, 03:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for the welcome reminder. What came to mind is we are also not what people tell us we are. I tend to buy into negative comments about myself and pass over the positive. We are also not what we tell ourselves we are. Maybe it's better to stay open, drop the labels and allow ourselves to evolve into the gardens we are.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Petunia, Ironically my Dad was just telling me today how I always look at things from a different angle than anyone else. LOL. I've always just thought that maybe I'm a bit more objective than others - but honestly, I have a hard time looking at things objectively that effect me!
I'm just glad that your post helped us both to see something that we've missed before.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am an opportunity.

To rejoice in the wonder of this life that has been granted to me.
To spread the love of my HP to those around me who wish to receive it.
To grow and flourish as an example to others of His way of life.
To live happy, joyous and free.

Whether I choose to make good use of that opportunity is up to me.

Mike :-)
Old 12-05-2004, 08:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Caring for the 3 little bears

What a great way to start the morning!

What a great thread! Each and everyone of your posts have touched me this morning and I am going to print this entire thread and add it to my collection of inspirational thoughts. You guys are awesome!

I do get stuck in the "what I do for a living" mode frequently. And there is so much more to me than that... and I need to start focusing more on the "other" me.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!