Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Alcoholic said they cut out caffeine & sports drinks yet temper worse than ever

Old 05-04-2020, 09:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The alcoholic who still drinks like a fish and said they cut out caffeine & sports drinks has a temper is worse than ever. Every conversation/contact starts out with a diatribe which turns into a lecture and temper tantrum. Their way or the highway, it's all your fault and I'm their employee.
The only thing I can think of they did a lot of bar drinking before the lockdowns and now have to or wait to night to binge drink but that's been their routine for at least a month so wouldn't their body adapt to less drinking through out the day?
The person already dwells/obsesses on single issues and people for ever so my guess any resentments towards me and others is amplified since they have nothing else to do.

Also of note they still think they are above it all in that several of their bar stool buddies have found temporary work in essential stores and they yet are waiting around for a payday that includes their gf's unemployment, stimulus, 600 a month bonus payment and have decided to reapply for unemployment going back 18 months. Even is trying to rationalize using a deceased parents stimulus check. In today's environment they are still waiting for something to come to them.

A few legal proceedings away from being detached legally and permanently. Already minimal contact. Cant stand to be in each others presence. Lawyer said courthouse is closed so nothing can be done now.
Old 05-04-2020, 12:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Quest, I have seen warnings that a person will be prosecuted for using a deceased persons stimulus checks. He might be receiving a "courtesy call" from the IRS if he does so.
I think that you can be pretty sure that his increased grouchiness is due to the recent life style restrictions and consumption of alcohol. No, the alcoholic's body doesn't adjust to decreased drinking in over a month's time. In fact, their behavior usually becomes worse due to the desire to be drinking as usual. It could be that he is irritable if he drank a Lot of caffein. in the past, but I have never seen it turn someone into a tyrant for a month. I suspect that it is just a cover story that he expects everyone to believe. To take the focus off the alcohol and put it on the caffein.