What to do?

Old 03-15-2020, 10:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What to do?

So I have been gone from home for over a week. I have felt pretty good for the most part. I’ve had a couple bad moments. But over all it’s been peaceful other than the occasional having to speak to AH about kids and he wants to see them.

So my son has went and stayed with him several times. From what I gather he’s done fairly decent. And my daughter went and stayed the day with him once and stayed the night one night. She said he did very good. But she did not want to go. She wanted to stay with me. But she ended up staying and she said they had a good time.

then last night he wanted her to come over. She has went somewhere with our church and when I picked her up I told her we were going to her dads and she completely freaked out on me. She cried and begged for me not to make her go. And when we got there I let him see her and told him she was not staying. And of course he was pissed. And automatically started blaming me. I was poisoning her brain. I was the one keeping them from him. He was gonna have his time with them. She was clearly upset. She did not want to stay. She said after we left that she was afraid because he’s always drunk at night.

we leave and he calls me today. And asked why she didn’t wanna stay. Or see him. I said she does want to see you but she doesn’t wanna spend the night. I told him that she was scared. Well you can imagine how that went. Blame game again. It’s my fault. She’s listening to me. He’s never done anything to harm her. He’s so good to her. And no he never harmed her psychically. But she witnessed everything that went on in that house to. I told him he needed to work on his relationship with her. Without yelling without bashing me. And really talk and listen to her feelings. And then he of course put the blame on me again. And I just hung up the phone. I’m not listening to the blame game anymore.

What do I do? Do I keep her from him. Clearly she’s scared. And clearly he doesn’t understand. That’s the usual. He does no wrong.

Old 03-15-2020, 10:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

She's not the first person to not want to be with somebody when they're drunk, and she won't be the last.

I would reframe this "keeping her from him" notion. What you're teaching her is respecting her own boundaries and her own desires. Just as he doesn't want to stop drinking when he's around her, she has every right to say she doesn't want to be with ANYBODY who's drunk. It doesn't have to be her father. It could be with the person she's dating, her friend, her future co-workers. You get the idea.

If he doesn't want to stop drinking, that's totally up to him. Whether or not she wants to be with a drunk guy is totally up to her. Don't force her to do something that you know is unhealthy for you too.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kc05 View Post
What do I do? Do I keep her from him. Clearly she’s scared. And clearly he doesn’t understand. That’s the usual. He does no wrong.
Yes, you do keep her from him. It is your job to protect her, whether he likes it or not. I'm sorry to be so blunt but I wouldn't listen to one word he says. He is being incredibly selfish with no regard for your Daughter, it's all about how he feels and that's just too bad.

She said after we left that she was afraid because he’s always drunk at night
Did she mean the night she spent there or just in general?

Regardless, even if it's just in general, she can't stay there until she trusts him. It's also his job to protect her and make her feel safe, although it doesn't sound like he will make any effort.
Old 03-15-2020, 12:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think you are absolutely right to listen to your daughter, you are her only protector. Good for you for not backing down even though he got angry and abusive with you!
Old 03-15-2020, 07:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

kc......I think that there may be a couple of ideas to consider.....
I am thinking of the experiences that some others on this forum have shared about custody/visitation issues that they have faced...
1. I would consider taking her to a counselor where she can discuss her feelings about staying the nights with him....That way, there would be some
written "evidence" of her feelings...that did not come from YOU.
2. I have heard other parents say that it was advised to them by their lawyers to not establish a pattern of visitation that they would not want to continue. Because, the court may say that if the parent thought it was o.k. for her to stay all night, one time,,,,then, it should be ok. to put in custody decisions.
I would say that it is not a good idea to make her stay all night...considering the welfare of the child above the anger and blame shifting of her father.....

Alcoholics tend to blame others for just about everything....it seems to be a feature of their alcoholic thinking...…
I suspect that he will continue to blame you for all sorts of things.
Just because he says something doesn't make it true. And,it doesn't mean that the courts and the whole world will believe him....

I am not a lawyer and don't mean to be giving legal advice....I am just reporting the experiences that other parents have talked about.
You need your own lawyer to advise and represent you....
Old 03-15-2020, 10:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
luring sobriety this way with my lucky charm

Here's what concerns me: your husband is also drunk in front your son. If his drunkenness is so severe that it actually scares your daughter, I somehow doubt he's a little tipsy or conceals his drinking well. I think you need to take legal action of some kind honestly. He sounds entirely unreasonable. All people who drink do not necessarily act this way. Your husband could have an underlying personality disorder that gives him traits of narcissism or sociopathy which make him too selfish to care about his daughter's fear. AND/OR his drinking is so crazy severe off the charts that your son probably shouldn't be around him alone either. Maybe he needs supervised visits. Maybe a therapist for your daughter would provide the evidence for this.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Forgive me for asking, but what are the ages?
Old 03-16-2020, 09:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
Forgive me for asking, but what are the ages?
daughter is 11 son is 14
Old 03-16-2020, 09:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

He took today off and text me this morning and asked if he could see her today while I worked. My daughter said she wanted to go. I told him he needed to talk to her and actually listen. he of course was mad at me. Blaming me for all the problems. And said that I have left and took the kids.

I was gone almost an hr. If that and she started texting me saying she was ready for me to get her. Over and over and then the next thing I know he pulls up with her. She comes in. And 10 mins later. He comes in. He sits down and tries to talk for a few minutes. I tried to explain to him why she’s afraid to be there. And of course it’s blame me. It’s my fault. I’m doing this. Hells a coming. I’m turning her against him. I said she’s only 11 and she’s struggling. He said I’m struggling to. I’m upset to. I said it’s not about us. It’s about the kids. And he turned to her and said fine if you don’t wanna be around me you don’t have to be. I’ll leave you alone. Have it your way. If you don’t wanna be at my house I don’t want you there. And walked out the door.

Old 03-16-2020, 09:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

kc I'm sorry he decided to go with the wildly immature response, but at this point, I don't know that you can expect anything different.

Try to remember that his relationship with his daughter is HIS responsibility, not yours.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I can just imagine what went on in that hour. He probably gave her a talking to.

Alcoholics are not reasonable (as you already know). It's quite sickening to see an adult not try to see a child's point of view, but with his maturity level it's not surprising.

When I read what you wrote about his rant it sounds like a school yard fight (from his side). Ok if you aren't going to be nice I'm taking my bat and going home!

kc, you are handling this really well, supporting your Daughter in this, don't ever doubt that.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
I can just imagine what went on in that hour. He probably gave her a talking to.

Alcoholics are not reasonable (as you already know). It's quite sickening to see an adult not try to see a child's point of view, but with his maturity level it's not surprising.

When I read what you wrote about his rant it sounds like a school yard fight (from his side). Ok if you aren't going to be nice I'm taking my bat and going home!

kc, you are handling this really well, supporting your Daughter in this, don't ever doubt that.
she said he sat her down and told her how much he loved her and that he has never done anything wrong towards her and there is no reason why she shouldn’t want to come see him. And that her momma was doing nothing but poisoning her mind. His typical response. Blame everyone else but yourself. And not try and work on the problem. Just blame someone else.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SparkleKitty View Post
kc I'm sorry he decided to go with the wildly immature response, but at this point, I don't know that you can expect anything different.

Try to remember that his relationship with his daughter is HIS responsibility, not yours.
i don’t expect anything different. It’s always the same thing with him. I thought maybe since it was morning he might be sobered up enough to have a conversation with her and work on things.

I know it’s not my responsibility but he keeps blaming me for keeping her away. And for some stupid reason I thought if she told him what was bothering her he would listen. Clearly I’m wrong
Old 03-16-2020, 11:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

kc.....I don't think that it is like you are withholding the kids form him....since he has seen and talked to them several times.
I am sure that your lawyer will be giving you advice about how to handle this.
I imagine that your daughter feels pretty torn about all of this...being in the middle of it..
I suggest that getting a counselor for your daughter might be a good idea...first of all,for her sake...and, it would also show the courts that you are concerned for the welfare of the child.....

A;sp, as much as you can...the kids often take cues from us during times of turmoil....so, trying to be calm and confident can help them feel much more secure that they are going to be o.k.

Just a couple of my thoughts....
Old 03-16-2020, 12:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Can you talk to a lawyer about sober link? Maybe this has been suggested before.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I would not put her through it.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I said she’s only 11 and she’s struggling. He said I’m struggling to.
The difference is that she's the child and he's the adult. He bears the responsibility for making sure that they have a healthy relationship, with or without you.

And he turned to her and said fine if you don’t wanna be around me you don’t have to be. I’ll leave you alone. Have it your way. If you don’t wanna be at my house I don’t want you there. And walked out the door.
There are parents I know who would do ANYTHING to see their kids, through hell or high water. A little criticism and he falls apart? Obviously he is not one of those parents.

I would spend less time trying to fluff up his collapsing ego and spend more time making sure that your daughter knows that she is loved.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well things escalated bad this evening. He said he wasn’t giving my son back. He said he’s gonna do the same thing to me that me and daughter are doing to him. Keeping him from me. I called my lawyer and am meeting with him tomorrow to sign papers to get process going but the courts are shut down so it will be end of April before we can really do anything. He told me that he is not giving him to me until I bring him my daughter. We would just trade. My lawyer said you can’t get emergency custody unless the kids life was in danger. Really?? I’m about to go crazy I don’t know what to do.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I would ask the lawyer what constitutes "life in danger".

What is your current custody agreement, do you have custody with him having specific visitation or no court ordered custody right now?

I would push the lawyer to solve this.

Is there any reasoning at all with him, as in going over there with your Daughter and explaining to him why the kids are with you, that they need a full time stable home? Is he drunk? If so if you were there you could perhaps call the police and tell them what's going on. This is of course if you don't think he could become violent (and never shown any violent tendencies).

You may want to contact your local DV center. They are very familiar with these kinds of situations and also would be able to refer you to a lawyer with specific experience in agreements where one party is an addict. I would make that call first.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
I would ask the lawyer what constitutes "life in danger".

What is your current custody agreement, do you have custody with him having specific visitation or no court ordered custody right now?

I would push the lawyer to solve this.

Is there any reasoning at all with him, as in going over there with your Daughter and explaining to him why the kids are with you, that they need a full time stable home? Is he drunk? If so if you were there you could perhaps call the police and tell them what's going on. This is of course if you don't think he could become violent (and never shown any violent tendencies).

You may want to contact your local DV center. They are very familiar with these kinds of situations and also would be able to refer you to a lawyer with specific experience in agreements where one party is an addict. I would make that call first.
we have no custody agreement right now. I just left a week ago. I had a consultation with a lawyer. And we went over all my options. But I hadn’t filed anything yet. I have tried to be nice through all this. My son has wanted to see him and I have tried to take him whenever he did. My daughter refuses to stay with him. Absolutely refuses. And it had infuriated him. So now he’s punishing me.