Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

What do you say/ do when they are going thru first days of unsupervised detox alone?

What do you say/ do when they are going thru first days of unsupervised detox alone?

Old 02-22-2020, 05:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I’d imagine it’s important they know you are there for them, thinking of them.

I don’t want to smother as I would imagine it’s unbearable pain. Wish he was doing it supervised, but I can’t change it.

also also know they could back out and drink and be ashamed, so don’t want to sound too much like a cheerleader.
Not many people know how bad it’s gotten and that he is trying.
should I just back away for a while? Or any messages/ words that would be helpful in the first day or two?
Old 02-22-2020, 06:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Izz4u View Post
I’d imagine it’s important they know you are there for them, thinking of them.
That's it!!!! See if they need anything like food and such, or anything else you can do.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello Izz,

Detox from alcohol is the most dangerous. Be prepared to dial 9-1-1 and do not hesitate to do so, if needed. It really would be safer for him to seek medical help.

I have no advice to share about someone detoxing at home as my stepson was always admitted to the hospital.

You will both be in my prayers.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'd say work your own side of the street as best you can while being ready to dial 911 . . . . this is a bit of a contradiction here. It sure doesn't sound like a great situation Izz.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Possibly a call in the evening just to check in he's still functioning, as detox alone can be very dangerous. Pre-arrange it so he knows that's why your calling. No need to get into any details.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree, contact once or twice a day and let him know in advance that you are going to be checking in to see how he's doing.

If you think he sounds disoriented or anything or asks you for help, don't hesitate to call 911. Better to be safe.
Old 02-23-2020, 04:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello Izz

I am walking alongside you in this journey. My AH is detoxing. Has been safe so far. I did a detox at home on my own too when I quit drinking about 10 years ago. I was fine.

With my AH I am there for him but also very much staying on my own side of the street. Maintaining my own recovery program.

My feeling is that it is vital to have follow up help to maintain the quit.

In my AH's case he has a team of addiction support workers to help him.

Without a program of some sort, it is far harder to stay quit and also to do the work needed to build a good life and find coping techniques other than drinking.

All the best to you.