A metaphor...

Old 02-06-2020, 03:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A metaphor...

I have 3 plants in my bathroom, two are from naturally wet environments so they like having their toes in water. As i was getting ready this morning, i realised they were very dry, so topped them up. I thought one looked quite brown, but had a small green shoot. I took some time to look closer, and realised that the shoot was actually a weed, and the plant was really dead.
So, ive been watering a dead plant for a long time time now - i think. Not sure for how long though!! Lol
I've been going through the motions with maintaining it without having a really close look, or thinking too much about it.
And i had a laugh.
What a metaphor for my situation.
We keep on just getting through the day, and one day all of the info you have been taking in subconsciously comes together. Bang!
Its a small plant, easily replaced (or not...I perhaps shouldn't be in charge of a new plant right now).
But life rolls on, the frog in the pot gets a bit warmer every day, until its too unbearable.
That's how life goes.
And the good part? I didn't flog myself for failing the plant. It happened, move on.
Hope that makes sense??
Old 02-06-2020, 04:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I always wonder, who decides it’s a weed and not a plant? Maybe it will be something neat if you let it live and see how it turns out?

Then I realize I’m attaching feelings to a little weed and not wanting it to be sad or feel like it’s not good enough to be a regular plant.

Well, guess this rambling post probably says something about me and my bucket of issues. LOL
Old 02-06-2020, 04:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I do understand what you’re getting at though. We get used to the things so gradually changing that suddenly, it’s all different, but who knows when it happened.

I’m glad you weren’t upset with yourself about the plant. Maybe it was just his time.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wombaticus…...My ex husband tried to say that golf was a metaphor for life....
I say, No.....Gardening is a metaphor for life!
Old 02-06-2020, 06:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wombaticus View Post
So, ive been watering a dead plant for a long time time now
Holy Crap..... I'm not a religious or even spiritually motivated person... but daaayum.... if this isn't a sign from "on high" I don't know what would be. Maybe that "on high" is just your higher knowledge, but still, wow... hard not to take that as a sign no matter what one believes.

I also see the humour in the whole situation W... which is also very valuable

Thank you for sharing this.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wombaticus,

Very good Metaphor. We get so use to are surrounding that we don't even realize that something has changed until we look closer. Some days we just need to stop and take inventory of our life to see what has changed.

The plant story did remind me of a plant my middle son was taking care of (green thumb of the house). He brought a sunflower home from a school class project. We replanted in bigger pot with fresh potting soil. Put it in the kitchen window sill and it lasted through out summer. Then around September it started to die. But right next to it was a small sprout of something. We had no idea. It started to get bigger. My wife said it was a weed. I said I don't think so. So we let it keep growing. By December it had outgrown it pot and we moved it to a bigger pot. Still wife thought it was a weed. I said it looks like a tomato plant. Come February we get some flowers and they are with our a doubt a tomato flowers. Now what type of tomato, we had no clue. It turned out to be nice cherry tomatoes. In spring we moved it out side and had fresh cherry tomatoes all summer.

I'm glad you didn't flog your self and was able to move on. have a great day and stay strong.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think the plant world is waaaay smarter than us two-legged folk, and I thank you for sharing that, Wombaticus! I've certainly spent a good portion of my time here on earth "watering a dead plant" in many, many different ways.

I'd like to share an experience I had along these same lines a whole lot of years ago. My significant other's mom had a plant in a hanging basket in her kitchen. It was a nice healthy plant, and it always had these lovely red flowers on it. I thought to myself "I like that plant, and it's always blooming. I'm going to look for one for my own place." And so I did, recognizing the leaf shape and growth habit as being what I knew as Swedish ivy (Plectranthus australis, for the Latin name).

Well, I had that plant for a long time. It did well but I kept wondering when it would bloom. One day, while at the SO's mom's house, I took a closer look at the ivy she had. Guess what? The "flowers" were not actual blooms on the plant; they were small fake flowers she had attached to make it prettier!

Well. I could have waited for hell to freeze over before my damn ivy "bloomed" like hers! Later, I learned that of course Swedish ivy does bloom, as do all plants. However, the flower is a small spike of white, lavender or purple flowerets, not the big showy red things I was looking for.

You are all smart folks here, so I'll leave it to you to come up with your own words of wisdom regarding that particular plant incident. Certainly a good companion piece to "watering a dead plant", though, wouldn't you say? I have to agree w/dandy, GARDENING is a metaphor for life. Yes indeedy.
Old 02-07-2020, 01:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

honeypig…..that is a great story!!
Your ivy...I assume that it is yours....looks so healthy.
I love Swedish Ivy....I think it is one of the easiest ivies to grow.....
Old 02-07-2020, 06:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
honeypig…..that is a great story!!
Your ivy...I assume that it is yours....looks so healthy.
I love Swedish Ivy....I think it is one of the easiest ivies to grow.....
Sorry, dandy, that's just a generic pic off the internet. I currently don't have any hanging baskets of any type. It was a pretty easy plant, as I remember--not subject to bug problems, not overly finicky as regards moisture and water requirements. But it just wouldn't bloom!!
Old 02-11-2020, 04:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sometimes they bloom, sometimes they don't. Lol
Some of the most tenacious and prolific weeds feed the bees.
May we all have the wisdom to recognise the beautiful souls in our lives and nurture those relationships, and know when we need to reflect, and move on compassionately.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wombaticus ~
I had a little “sign” of my own yesterday. I finally ordered the book Codependent No More (used). It came in the mail to the neighbors house, they accidentally opened it. They in turn gave it to my AH (buddies) My AH walked in and threw it on the counter, said “here, you got a present” and walked out without another word. And no, he doesn’t live here anymore.
Let’s just say this gave me instant anxiety.

Later that evening I opened the book. Wouldn’t you know in the middle of the book the previous owner left a bookmark. The Serenity prayer on a beautiful flowered background....
Coincidence? I think not
Old 02-11-2020, 05:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wombaticus View Post
Sometimes they bloom, sometimes they don't. Lol
Some of the most tenacious and prolific weeds feed the bees.
May we all have the wisdom to recognise the beautiful souls in our lives and nurture those relationships, and know when we need to reflect, and move on compassionately.
Yes.

Beautifully said and I agree completely from both sides of the fence.

All is catalyst. All can bring growth if one does the next right action, however difficult, with compassion for all involved, including yourself.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hawkeye13 View Post
yes.

Beautifully said and i agree completely from both sides of the fence.

All is catalyst. All can bring growth if one does the next right action, however difficult, with compassion for all involved, including yourself.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FarmhouseGal View Post
Wombaticus ~
I had a little “sign” of my own yesterday. I finally ordered the book Codependent No More (used). It came in the mail to the neighbors house, they accidentally opened it. They in turn gave it to my AH (buddies) My AH walked in and threw it on the counter, said “here, you got a present” and walked out without another word. And no, he doesn’t live here anymore.
Let’s just say this gave me instant anxiety.

Later that evening I opened the book. Wouldn’t you know in the middle of the book the previous owner left a bookmark. The Serenity prayer on a beautiful flowered background....
Coincidence? I think not
love it!
Old 02-11-2020, 02:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

FarmhouseGal……..you can't make this stuff up.....
By the way----I am a little bit suspicious of the accidental openings of mail by the neighbors....oh sure...it CAN happen.....but, still...….
Old 02-11-2020, 06:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

[/QUOTE]You are all smart folks here, so I'll leave it to you to come up with your own words of wisdom regarding that particular plant incident. Certainly a good companion piece to "watering a dead plant", though, wouldn't you say? I have to agree w/dandy, GARDENING is a metaphor for life. Yes indeedy.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to say it means stop making people/ things something they just aren't. You were expecting the plant to do something it wasn't ever going to do. Knowledge is power, once you knew what to expect from the plant you could stop being disappointed.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'd say that hits the nail on the head, JL!