Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

The marriage always felt broken but fixable, but now it feels totaled

The marriage always felt broken but fixable, but now it feels totaled

Old 02-09-2020, 01:14 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Jamie,
Explain this to me? "Two- they knew about his problem years ago, but I have only talked to one friend about him-- it has been too embarrassing for me"

Why do you take "ownership" for his alcoholism; that it is to embarrassing to talk about it? Do you judge a spouse of someone who is fat or god for bid, smokes cigarettes? You are in no way responsible and should not be held accountable for your drunk husbands behavior. We came into this world alone and we leave this world alone, no one should be judging you.

You might want to think about coming out of the closet. It is very cleansing to yourself, not trying to pretend that everything is perfect in your world. People understand, in fact they already know, you will be surprised the comments you will get. You hopefully will get compassion and kindness from people, as you would do to others in the same situation.

Please think about being truthful with people who you can trust. They might not have the same views or opinions on how you are dealing with it, but as Martin Luther King says " the truth will set you free!"