Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

My husband walked out of our marriage 2 years back, will be come back?

My husband walked out of our marriage 2 years back, will be come back?

Old 02-01-2020, 12:48 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rose12345 View Post

Hi NYCDoglvr, i am interested in knowing what happened afterwards? Did the person come back? How did your story go?
Hi Rose. You can read anyone's previous posts and/or threads by clicking on their name (above where their post/picture is in this thread) and choosing view all threads or view all posts.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:16 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi NYCDoglvr, i am interested in knowing what happened afterwards? Did the person come back? How did your story go?
No, never returned but I stopped caring. It's significant you're in relatively early recovery. It's very common for us to seek other ways to escape our feelings. For me it was spending money and food, until I saw what I was doing, what my sponsor called it "trading up addictions". It's unconscious, we're still addicts. I know the torture of wanting something I can't have, the way to relieve it is to pray for acceptance. And, daily gratitude lists help. It's part of the process of recovery and you're doing great! Remember, very few people get two years of continuous sobriety.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:12 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FallenAngelina View Post
If anyone understands missing our loved one, it's people who have or do love an alcoholic, so you'll find plenty of empathy among us here. However, part of a healthy recovery program is learning how to not use people as emotional life rafts when our own ship is full of holes.

I completely understand that you love this man, but it rather seems as though there is a lot more at stake for you than simply missing him. Whenever we feel as though our life and all happiness depends on another, this is always a signal that we have made that person into something that they can never be - the captain of our ship and the keeper of our emotional well being. A healthy recovery program includes learning about healthy emotional independence within a close relationship. I rather suspect that this issue is erupting in a big way for you right now, a year into your recovery, and that is why you're feeling this overwhelming need for this man. The answer doesn't lie in his return to your nest, nor in his easing your pain of missing him. Whether you ultimately come back together as a couple or not, you need to learn how to be emotionally self sufficient if you want to have a good relationship. Take this time to learn more about sailing your own ship. What you learn now about yourself will serve you no matter what - whether you reunite, whether you eventually couple with someone else, whether you spend some time being single. Going forward in a healthy direction does not involve your husband coming back to ease this emotional pain that you feel right now. That pain is valuable communication from your inner wisdom and that pain is about you, not about him. Listen to it and use it and learn from it as part of your own healthy recovery. Asking your husband to return and do this work for you only detours you on your own recovery venture.
Thank you so much. Your message hit me hard. I believe you are absolutely correct. I shall try best to use this pain to gain my own emotional freedom.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:50 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Rose,
How wonderful that you are sober and working a program. Its amazing to look back and see what collateral damage you have done over the years. Fyi - My sisters in laws parents remarried after he got sober and joined AA. He was very involved until the day he died. So he continued to work a program and she recognized it and they remarried, so there is always hope.

What I have to say is continue to work your program. Alcoholics are very demanding and selfish people (by nature) so being aggressive to him is what he expects. If you are working a program, you should be giving back not demanding. They say you can always recognized someone who is working a program, you don't need to tell people, people to get them to notice.

Make a difference, do good and who knows what might happen, its in Gods hands, it is out of your control. Hugs, I hope it works out for you! (Us codies dream of this scenario!!)
Old 02-11-2020, 10:28 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by maia1234 View Post
Rose,
How wonderful that you are sober and working a program. Its amazing to look back and see what collateral damage you have done over the years. Fyi - My sisters in laws parents remarried after he got sober and joined AA. He was very involved until the day he died. So he continued to work a program and she recognized it and they remarried, so there is always hope.

What I have to say is continue to work your program. Alcoholics are very demanding and selfish people (by nature) so being aggressive to him is what he expects. If you are working a program, you should be giving back not demanding. They say you can always recognized someone who is working a program, you don't need to tell people, people to get them to notice.

Make a difference, do good and who knows what might happen, its in Gods hands, it is out of your control. Hugs, I hope it works out for you! (Us codies dream of this scenario!!)
Thank you so much for this post. I was smiling when I read the story of your sis-in-laws parents. Hoping is what makes the world go round.

although, you are absolutely correct that alcoholics are demanding, and I had been doing that not realising the harm it caused me. I guess, he doesn’t believe that I have changed. So yes, a lot of work needs to be done from my side. One day at a time I hope to heal into a person who is not a self- will run riot. 😀
Old 02-12-2020, 02:55 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rose12345 View Post

So yes, a lot of work needs to be done from my side. One day at a time I hope to heal into a person who is not a self- will run riot. 😀
^^^^^ This so many times over Rose!! Major kudos to you for realizing this. Listen to that pain; don't dance to it (Can't remember who said this but it is what I try for in my own life . . . . .without total success)

I'm off for more yoga, a bit of snow shoveling and a phone call to my Dad . . . . .yeah I'm the one 15 minute segment at a time kind of girl!