breathalysed - how long for?

Old 01-15-2020, 07:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

breathalysed - how long for?

hi all,

im seeking some advice on parenting/custody agreements.

upon lawyers advice, on trying to negotiate with my STBXAH about custody & what vistation looks like. I’m trying to base it on some info I’ve read. STBXAH has been an active alcoholic til 2 months ago & is rather dismissive on the impact the alcohol has had on the home environment and his parenting. long story cut short- he’s reluctantly agreed to 6 months supervised then to utilise a breathalyser for unsupervised contact (there is no soberlink in my country) but is unwilling to do it for a long period. May I ask- how long did you have it in place for? Months/years/forever?

My argument is that if he is sober- why wouldn’t you want to demonstrate that?!

Id appreciate any info or advice on this

thanks in advance ❤️
Old 01-15-2020, 07:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You could set a short period of time but make it clear from the language that he hast to blow clean each time. so, for example, make it six months, but worded that after six months of zero positive readings on the breathalyzer, the requirement terminates, rather than saying he will submit to a breathalyzer for the next six months.

as someone with a testing requirement in my custody agreement, six months is a pretty long time not to screw it up from their perspective.

my order is open ended on the testing, but there are changes to the custody agreement after six months “of sobriety“. So from my perspective, when I know he has been drinking, that resets the six-month clock every time.