I only have myself to blame

Old 01-10-2020, 04:55 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FallenAngelina View Post
Just to clarify:

Generalizations can be helpful to lift us out of our isolated mire and help us understand alcoholism instead of wondering what we're doing wrong, but we need to make a distinction between active alcoholics and those who have chosen recovery. "They" are not all unwilling and incapable of change. In fact, every single person can make enormous changes if that person chooses to. There is no such thing as a lost cause alcoholic. That is what makes things so confusing for us who love them and perhaps a big part of what keeps us hooked into their lives. There is always the potential for beautiful, positive change. What's important for us to be aware of is not that "they" do not change, but how to identify an alcoholic who is choosing committed recovery vs. an alcoholic who is not. The recovery choice and that commitment is a day to day thing, as is evidenced by relapses and "falling off the wagon." An alcoholic can falter, just as we can. We are all learning. But make no mistake that every alcoholic can indeed change by choosing to embrace a multifaceted recovery program this day and the next and the next and the next. It's up to us not to dismiss "them," but to discern whether our own alcoholic loved one is choosing their own recovery or their own demise - today. It's really either-or and with experience and education, we can get very good at recognizing which it is - today.
sorry my message was not about those that are seeking or are in recovering those that know they have a problem and want to fix that problem of course can change.
those aka my ex does not want to change even said he hasn’t got a problem it’s everyone else not him. Also that if anyone wants to be with him they except him and his drinking because this will not change so that was really ya my own experience my quote was aimed at.
i do believe people can change but they have to want to and know that they have a problem. Some just don’t also for active alcoholics that say I will change and just hook you back in have no intention of changing so when they say they have changed they haven’t unless they get the support and the help and guidance they need.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:01 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hey Blue, I have followed your story. I so would have gone back too given the circumstances that you faced . . . . sigh . . . . .It is tough.

I hope your day goes okay. Each day you get through is one more closer to healing.

Let us know how you get on.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Recovery isn't easy for any of us. For me it was two steps forward, one step back until I finally got it. Try to go easy on yourself, it's all a learning experience. Big hug!