It’s definitely true that alcoholism is progressive...

Old 01-16-2020, 01:27 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My ex went to the child support enforcement office to obtain a statement proving he had paid all his child support and I was being crazy and vindictive in seeking to have his wages garnished.

He brought the statement to court and brandished it in front of the judge. The judge asked to behave a closer look. He marched triumphantly up to her and gave it to her. She read it, looked at him, read it again, and said “Mr X, this statement in fact says that you are $24 000 in arrears in child support. That’s what the ‘outstanding balance’ column means. You gotta pay your bills, sir”. He looked dumbfounded.

She also made a remark to the effect that if he is smart enough to find the office, he should be smart enough to read his own statement of account.

So yeah, their brains don’t work too good after a while, and it often comes out in dealing with official stuff (court, real estate, financial matters).
Old 01-16-2020, 10:29 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sasha1972 View Post
My ex went to the child support enforcement office to obtain a statement proving he had paid all his child support and I was being crazy and vindictive in seeking to have his wages garnished.

He brought the statement to court and brandished it in front of the judge. The judge asked to behave a closer look. He marched triumphantly up to her and gave it to her. She read it, looked at him, read it again, and said “Mr X, this statement in fact says that you are $24 000 in arrears in child support. That’s what the ‘outstanding balance’ column means. You gotta pay your bills, sir”. He looked dumbfounded.

She also made a remark to the effect that if he is smart enough to find the office, he should be smart enough to read his own statement of account.

So yeah, their brains don’t work too good after a while, and it often comes out in dealing with official stuff (court, real estate, financial matters).

It’s amazing how we all have stories similar to each other about the ridiculous things that As come up with. My ex is definitely not a responsible person for anything serious: finances, legal paperwork & children.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:36 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

The “quitclaim deed” is ready for my AXH signature. I told him to go to the escrow office tomorrow at 10am. I gave him the address and the person’s name who is handling paperwork. I told him that if he doesn’t show up to sign the paperwork I will be filing a motion with the court on Tuesday.

I went to see an attorney about this matter. He basically told me to try and threaten him to get him to sign. So I told my X on Tuesday that if doesn’t sign “quitclaim deed” then we will go back to court and present in front of judge. I told him that I will ask for all legal and loan doc fees be paid by him if he holds up refinance process. He responded “I will sign paperwork at loan office.” I hope he goes tomorrow so we can get this over with. I slowly but surely have separated myself from him. This is just another milestone for me becoming independent from him and providing a stable environment for my children and I.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:03 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

One milestone at a time ... you are doing really well with this, and you are very smart to get the quit-claim document so this can’t come back to bite you later. This is especially important because you’re seeing signs of the disease progressing.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:02 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sasha1972 View Post
One milestone at a time ... you are doing really well with this, and you are very smart to get the quit-claim document so this can’t come back to bite you later. This is especially important because you’re seeing signs of the disease progressing.

Thank you Sasha! He signed the quitclaim deed! I’m so relieved one more step closer in breaking another tie with him.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:59 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Congrats MB. It is always anyone's guess if the A will follow through on something fairly simple. Sounds like you won this one.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:29 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Yup, sure is progressive. Destroys and eats away the brain and many other organs.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:20 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bekindalways View Post
Congrats MB. It is always anyone's guess if the A will follow through on something fairly simple. Sounds like you won this one.
Yes, it is. Never know what you’ll get.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:04 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I have been with an alcoholic for seventeen years. I’m finally at a crossroads trying to figure out whether I should stay or leave. I really want to say that I admire your strength.