Didn't think I would need a second opinion so soon

Old 12-21-2019, 05:10 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cyranoak View Post
there is not one good thing about facebook. not even one. i reject any and all rationalizations and stories that try, even for a second, to defend this, the most virulent and destructive form of mental and psychological ebola. never login to facebook. never.
I click on the little dots in the upper right hand corner to "stop seeing posts from - " often.

My Facebook feed is almost down to 1) pictures of my peers' grandchildren and 2) cat videos.

I'm adding the phrase "mental and psychological ebola" to my vocabulary, though.

I had a colleague who was nutty and addicted to something (swore he didn't use drugs, but he lies, too) who refused to be on Facebook - and this was years ago. "They're collecting information on you" he'd say, "I'm never going on Facebook." As nutty as he is, he turned out to be right.

My sister posts political stuff almost daily, and complains that she sees political ads in her facebook feed. Duh.

I see cute boots and multi-tools. That which one sows, one shall also reap, on Facebook and everywhere else, I imagine.

I am adding the phrase "mental and psychological ebola" to my vocabulary, though.
Old 12-21-2019, 10:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I've lost count of the people I've unfollowed on FB. Less confrontational than blocking and most people don't even realize you've checked out, especially if you don't post that often. I've also done some pre-emptive blocking which has served me well.

I've learned that reacting to posts from a particular family member does no good, and just feeds into the black hole that is her non-existent self-esteem. I find that some people thrive on drama because in their eyes even negative attention is better than no attention at all. The relentless request to "Look at me... LOOK AT ME" is quite frankly exhausting, and you're just better off just ignoring it.

My sister once showed a video of my mom on FB although my mom expressed vehemently on previous occasions that she wanted nothing posted. My niece had already asked her not to post it as well. But for whatever reason she did it. I did wonder if I needed to tell my mom, but I decided that in this instance, she'd be better off not knowing about it. I wasn't going to help my sister draw even more attention to herself by starting a FB war. However, nothing was going to stop me from mentioning my displeasure if the topic came up in conversation. And now my nieces know from direct experience that their mother is someone not to be trusted when it comes to posting stuff without people's permission.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Originally Posted by velma929 View Post
My sister posts political stuff almost daily, and complains that she sees political ads in her facebook feed. Duh.

I see cute boots and multi-tools. That which one sows, one shall also reap, on Facebook and everywhere else, I imagine.

I am adding the phrase "mental and psychological ebola" to my vocabulary, though.
If I had amnesia and tried to work out my age and interests from FB I wouldn't be far out from the ads.

Over-50s dating sites,
Incontinence panties,
Retirement villages,
Holidays, especially cruises,
Superannuation (retirement account),
Things about make-up old women should know,
Lock and leave apartments,
Brain exercises,
Best herbs for dementia,
Cat videos
Art galleries

All well and good, but I was really alarmed the other day to see an ad for grave-stones!! I've rationalised it my thinking my mother's still alive, maybe it was with her in mind. Nice grave-stones though.

I do enjoy FB for keeping up with my friends, but I don't have any drama-queens or badly behaved people in my life.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:59 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I am sorry this happened Amy. I think it's good that you blocked her, and I would let family know you are not interested in what she posts in the future.

Sending you big hugs!