I made it and so can you

Old 12-04-2019, 06:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I made it and so can you

2 years ago 10/1 my life forever changed. My AH decided after 23yrs that taking care of his wife with a leg cast due to reconstruction surgery on my entire foot and ankle do to RA was too much for him. He decided to make me feel like a worthless inconvenience. He decided he no longer wanted to be married as he got black out drunk 6days a week (now it’s 7 days but it’s my favorite thing, not my problem) and slept with whoever wanted his whiskey 🍆 I was so broken I thought I couldn’t survive without him. My family was all 600+ miles away and I couldn’t even drive since it was my right leg. Slowly I realized that no matter what I deserved more. The more I pushed away the more he tried to say he’d change but this time I knew no matter what I just can’t do this. My deal breaker was cheating and that he did then, even though he tried to deny it for months. A life long friend lived 2hrs away and I knew I had to get there but I didn’t know then that I was codependent on him. I begged him for days to let me go and when he agreed he was at work. I already had a suitcase packed, grabbed our dogs and left for good. Boy was he shocked when he got home bc he wanted to just be in separate rooms. I gave him 2 wks to tell the kids but it ended up being me. I collect SSD and knew I couldn’t afford our home etc. Despite all suggestions I received I left the house. I could go on and on but what I want all of you who are unsure if you can do it and why should you I’m here to tell you that you absolutely can. Your life will change but once you get through the pain you will be able to breathe like you haven’t in years. It’s over 2yrs still waiting for that ass to sign the divorce papers. He has a girlfriend yet doesn’t want a divorce because he wants it all. If his drunk girlfriend (he met his twin and I did let them know that they’re perfect together) didn’t go after our pregnant I would almost feel sorry for her. But why, she knows he doesn’t want a divorce and that he has never taken our family pictures down, he’s never stopped telling me how sorry he is etc so at this point her drunk self gets what she deserves, a married POS. I even asked her to help him sign!!
But more important is what I’ve learned in all of this. -staying single and keeping my self respect was more important than getting even
-that one day our kids will realize the truth and it’s not for me to tell them, to hurt them and even if I do he will lie like the new him does even when he’s caught red handed
-that the Shitstorm will show everyone that he’s lost out on a diamond while chasing CZ’s, cocaine whores and drunks like him
-that I will heal and he has to carry this for the rest of his life, not me
-that he will never get over me, what he’s done and who he’s become
-that all his failed attempts to be the man I married don’t effect my life
-that never giving him an ultimatum reminded me who I am and have always been
-that I could move to my hometown where our kids are and live in my own apartment, pay my own bills, have the money I have and not have my money go to dealers and bartenders or watch a grown man pout bc I won’t let him spend what he wants or let’s face it he pouted at everything and it was easier to be home alone than w that crap
-that the person I am today I am so proud of
-that I could show my family that you can be better and not bitter, that there’s no need to be a right fighter Bc no matter what ppl think what they want
-I didn’t need to tell people what happened or why I moved home. I let ppl who weren’t immediate to me think what they wanted and I heard some crazy crap. The ones who thought poor him have had their foot in their mouths for sometime but it’s really ok bc I smile and laugh about it now.
-he’s aged decades in 2 years and I look younger than i have in years. I do enjoy seeing in the mirror that the healthier I get from being away from the rollercoaster the more I love myself
-it’s never to late to start dating yourself. The love I freely gave him I give to myself and it’s been wonderful to realize how much my love means when I see me.
-that no matter what I got this when I thought it was all done for me
-that I’m back to dreaming, setting and crushing goals
I can’t thank this sight and all those who willingly shared their lives with me. I only posted a few times but I spent countless days reading and reading which I will say I’m happy to be past researching his issues and just living my life for me and those who matter. The holidays can bring a lot of pain bc it’s a huge change and a day that has a meaning so we know what the others were like but that can be a good thing too. I hope everyone can find their happiness again too.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You go girl !!! Good for you !!!

the “eggplant” emoji...omg you made my night...now that’s funny stuff right there
Old 12-04-2019, 07:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Lostinthismess….thanks for this wonderful post....

I agree with you...there is nothing like the great feelings that come after you hear those "prison doors" closing, behind you!
Old 12-04-2019, 08:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

haha.. lostinthismess..this ...

"-I didn’t need to tell people what happened or why I moved home. I let ppl who weren’t immediate to me think what they wanted and I heard some crazy crap. The ones who thought poor him have had their foot in their mouths for sometime but it’s really ok bc I smile and laugh about it now."

Can I tell you that my parents neighbors asked me why I moved home to mama? Like I wasn't low enough already. I literally have had to try and stay away from people because their comments cut like a knife, and I have the thinnest skin these days.

Thanks for this post,

E
Old 12-04-2019, 08:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lostinthismess View Post
I do enjoy seeing in the mirror that the healthier I get from being away from the rollercoaster the more I love myself
-it’s never to late to start dating yourself. The love I freely gave him I give to myself and it’s been wonderful to realize how much my love means when I see me.
What a great uplifting update Lostinthismess.

I particularly like the part above about loving yourself. It's funny how that is so much easier when you escape the constraints. It's a happy feeling and i'm happy for you.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Emmalyn View Post
haha.. lostinthismess..this ...

"-I didn’t need to tell people what happened or why I moved home. I let ppl who weren’t immediate to me think what they wanted and I heard some crazy crap. The ones who thought poor him have had their foot in their mouths for sometime but it’s really ok bc I smile and laugh about it now."

Can I tell you that my parents neighbors asked me why I moved home to mama? Like I wasn't low enough already. I literally have had to try and stay away from people because their comments cut like a knife, and I have the thinnest skin these days.

Thanks for this post,

E
I completely understand the frustration in ppl asking stuff that they have no need too. Sometimes I think ppl forget that before social media we knew what we knew and didn’t insert ourselves into other’s business as much as ppl do now. Actually my daughter didn’t even understand how annoying it was for me until she got pregnant and ppl started asking if this was planned. Shitstorm has many friends here and sure enough after 2 years I’m still being asked where he is and how long am I visiting for when I’ve lived here over a year. This pass weekend it as a 2nd cousin of his asking. When I first moved back a friend of his asked me where he is while we were at a wedding so it was already uncomfortable for me. I was pissed off at this friend for a longtime. Sure enough he really didn’t know. This past summer he came up and apologized if he did something to upset me bc I’ve avoided him since. But like you, I too felt my skin was thin and I couldn’t see those who truly cared. But as for the neighbors, tell them you’ve taken up selling crack and this is a good location to build your business!!
Old 12-05-2019, 07:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you!!

Thank you everyone for your kind words. Never forget what we’ve been through and continue to go through will never stop us. We are built to last.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Lost, it sure sounds to me like you're FOUND these days instead! Thanks for taking the time and effort to come here and give hope and encouragement to those of us who are still struggling as well as lifting the spirits of the rest of us.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lostinthismess View Post

I completely understand the frustration in ppl asking stuff that they have no need too. Sometimes I think ppl forget that before social media we knew what we knew and didn’t insert ourselves into other’s business as much as ppl do now. Actually my daughter didn’t even understand how annoying it was for me until she got pregnant and ppl started asking if this was planned. Shitstorm has many friends here and sure enough after 2 years I’m still being asked where he is and how long am I visiting for when I’ve lived here over a year. This pass weekend it as a 2nd cousin of his asking. When I first moved back a friend of his asked me where he is while we were at a wedding so it was already uncomfortable for me. I was pissed off at this friend for a longtime. Sure enough he really didn’t know. This past summer he came up and apologized if he did something to upset me bc I’ve avoided him since. But like you, I too felt my skin was thin and I couldn’t see those who truly cared. But as for the neighbors, tell them you’ve taken up selling crack and this is a good location to build your business!!
Lostinthismess- That just might have the desired effect!! I do not understand why people are so determined to not necessarily know all the facts of a situation but feel as if they can determine enough to give unsolicited advice. This happened to me night before last, another neighbor told me that god would help me quit smoking (I switched to a vape with very little nicotine a few months ago, during a really difficult time, it was hard!!) I looked at her and said that my biggest issue right now was getting out of bed and if god wanted to see fit to help me with that I'm sure he would.

Geesh can I have a little nicotine? I just moved across the country, broke up with my boyfriend, am looking for a job after 13 years with the same company and am living with my parents!! And I don't even drink!!

Old 12-05-2019, 08:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Emmalyn View Post
Lostinthismess- That just might have the desired effect!! I do not understand why people are so determined to not necessarily know all the facts of a situation but feel as if they can determine enough to give unsolicited advice. This happened to me night before last, another neighbor told me that god would help me quit smoking (I switched to a vape with very little nicotine a few months ago, during a really difficult time, it was hard!!) I looked at her and said that my biggest issue right now was getting out of bed and if god wanted to see fit to help me with that I'm sure he would.

Geesh can I have a little nicotine? I just moved across the country, broke up with my boyfriend, am looking for a job after 13 years with the same company and am living with my parents!! And I don't even drink!!

Smoke away!! There's only so many changes we can do at once. If your vice is vaping, go for it. I know how hard switching from smoking to vaping is so please don't listen to these people. Be proud of the steps you've taken.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Lostinthismess……I just want to say that you are one tough cookie.
I think your story can give so much encouragement to others who might be feeling overwhelmed, right now.
I hope that you can hang around and continue to share your journey......you have a lot to tell....

LOL...lol....Life gave you a pile of lemons and you opened a Lemonade Stand!!
Old 12-06-2019, 05:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

lostinthismess ... thank you for this inspiring post. I see many paralels with your story and mine. I am almost 2 years in from leaving my alcoholic husband of 18 years but I have a long way to go till I feel as strong and free as you do. I am still weighed down with the sadness of the loss of our family and the sadness of watching the man I loved deteriorate ........ I still have the divorce to get through..... thank you for sharing your story and showing how the future can look. You give me hope.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Amaranth View Post
lostinthismess ... thank you for this inspiring post. I see many paralels with your story and mine. I am almost 2 years in from leaving my alcoholic husband of 18 years but I have a long way to go till I feel as strong and free as you do. I am still weighed down with the sadness of the loss of our family and the sadness of watching the man I loved deteriorate ........ I still have the divorce to get through..... thank you for sharing your story and showing how the future can look. You give me hope.
I still have my moments too but when I realized the moments I have now are not what the moments were in the past. I realized what was days turned into a couple days then just a day, then that turned into a few hours which became a couple hours until one day I realized it was just minutes. I think it's important to recognize where we were mentally on day one and where we are today. I have had a hard time not feeling bad for that woman(me) sitting in that chair, I have made myself picture her in my mind and doing so brings tears and even does now. I feel sorry for that woman and how little she thought of herself. Also with so many dates that became huge memories in my life I have learned to sit and reflect who I was on that day as to who I am now. To this day I am waiting for him to sign the papers. We will text each other stuff about our kids and what we know the other needs to know. I know most ex or ex to legally be aren't as far away as mine, don't cry when they see the person they hurt, are a complete mess and making it known to everyone they do speak to that they had the best wife and will never get over the pain they caused her. He's always saying he's sorry but that isn't changing his addiction but thankfully I do not feel any emotion towards his messages. I have learned that how I respond is up to me. What I still need work on is when he gives our kids the empty hope he gave me countless times. I have let him know that he can do what he wants to me but when it comes to our kids its game on. He has told me that I am not kidding with that and I'm not. It's nice there's no drama but part of that is I learned that being the person I am ppl expect a response but i have learned to sit back and watch the storm come because it will. Karma is something I believe in and that it doesn't come in the same form but it comes. The day our 24 yr old daughter came to me and asked me why I didn't tell her he has a girlfriend and has had one then told me that because of me her and the other kids know that divorce happens but there's so much more to still come in life. She used to ask me if there's anyway I'd change my mind and go back to him. He let the kids know how much he loves me and how bad he messed up so they thought we was suffering etc. Then he'd message me how thankful he is that i got out of the hell he created, I'd reply please tell the kids and nope he didn't, so I waited and waited for that day his other life blows up in his face and that day came with a bang.
I have really learned I can be bitter or better. I can either work through all of this and heal so I don't carry this pain with me for the rest of my life or I can numb myself by being with someone just to get even, have a distraction, etc. But no matter what it will come back to haunt you if you don't do the work on you. My parents were the perfect example of what not to do as parents and parents who divorced. They divorced 35 yrs ago and still can't be in the same room. They both remarried and my Dad can see my mom but she can't see him even though she's remarried twice. Because of her I hate the holidays. They were always a fight because everything was about her, not us kids and then not our kids. Seeing your parents decades old divorce effect your own kids sucks. I could go on and on about their crap but the thing is I am thankful that I am not her.
I also think it's important to know that there's no time limit on healing. Anyone who makes you feel wrong for your feelings has crap they need to deal with themselves. I did go to therapy with the goal of finding any tools I didn't have to help my kids deal with having an absent drunk Dad. What I did find that being validated by a complete stranger was helpful. On my way to the first 5+ appointments I thought my chest was going to explode but after each appointment I felt lighter. Two months ago while at therapy my fitbit registered 15 minutes of exercise because of my heart rate. I had no idea I was still physically feeling that hurt. That too was a good eye opener.
Please know that you got this, there's no right or wrong way to heal, It's what works for you. To this day I remind myself that I got out, it's his fault and that he has to live with, not me. My life will go on. I can have another husband one day if that's what I want. I do wish it was as easy for our kids. I see it as they feel forced to hold on while I feel forced to let go. I try to remind myself of that and that I don't know how they truly feel just as they don't know how I feel. I try to just be an ear for them and it's helped them to have that outlet.
I truly wish all the best for you and everyone else here. Please be proud of the person you are and please give yourself the love and compassion you would give your best friend if she was in your shoes. Happiness will come again for you, I promise. Stay strong
Old 12-06-2019, 08:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

lostinthismess

I have made myself picture her in my mind and doing so brings tears and even does now. I feel sorry for that woman and how little she thought of herself.

I just did this. This time last year I was lying in a hospital bed full of tubes and stitched up my middle, broken in two physically and emotionally, while my husband partied with his new girlfriend and slept with her in our bed. This image is bringing a lot of tears.

Today I am cancer free, regaining my physical strength, have a nice house to live in, I am manging to earn some money here and there. I have worked through a lot of stuff. When I compare year-ago-me to today me, I'm doing OK!!! Thank you for suggesting this excercise!!

And i know what you mean about the dates...the anniversaries....they are hard days to get through. And there seem to be so many.

I'm starting to see that my letting go will eventually help my kids let go. They are clinging on tight to the life they know because it's all they've got. As I start to rebuild my life, I have another option to offer them. My son has been away at college for 2 months and is building his own life. I see him slowly starting to let go.

Yes, healing has no time frame and I should not try to rush mine. Thank you for your insight and for sharing your story of resilience and hope.