Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

He’s trying to quit...and pretty sure he’s turned into the devil

He’s trying to quit...and pretty sure he’s turned into the devil

Old 12-04-2019, 06:01 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FarmhouseGal View Post
Clowery, there must be something about dental appts. lately. My AH just found out at his dentist appt. his BP was high...like scary high, 223/119 and he got sent to the ER. Said he felt fine, only a slight headache.

The good: he’s now on BP medication, which is helping tremendously (he still chews though)

The good/bad: all his blood test, heart ultrasound, basically the works, all came back squeaky clean. I was at least hoping/praying something would be elevated enough to warrant a warning or scare him a little, nothing serious ya know but... Nope! He literally said while being discharged “see I’m fine, now you can get off my back” (insert eye roll here)

I hope your husbands results are good too...
But please, please make sure you keep looking after yourself. It seems these things pop up and we tend to get side tracked/old habits because...well because it’s what we (at least me) caregivers do.

Isnt that crazy that the dentist found that problem. I thought to myself when he told me what they said. I wished they could test your liver. Thanks for you encouraging words. Means a lot. All this is hard. It’s nice to have someone understand exactly what you are going through.

And I’m really trying to take care of myself and the kids. I’m seeing a counselor once a week. We are staying away as much as possible. Trying to wait until I know he’s gone to bed to come home. That’s helping right now.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:55 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'll respond as an alcoholic in recovery: refusing to get help is just another way of not quitting. My best thinking got me drunk, it was only when I went to AA in 1991 and took suggestions that, one day at a time, I didn't drink. He can delude himself but you don't have to be. And as a codependent I know there's nothing you can say or do that will affect his drinking in any way.

So you must save yourself. Alanon was a lifesaver for me and I recommend it.