Old 11-12-2019, 09:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life is good

Today's Hope - Nov. 12, 2019

Daily Quote:

"Be gentle first with yourself." - Lama Yeshe​

Daily Reflection:

"A power greater than ourselves
We came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity. -Step 2

Step 2 was a stumbling block for me, until someone pointed out that “a power greater than myself” did not have to mean “God” as our culture understands “Him”. What was becoming clear to me, was that my attempts to exert power over the alcoholic and the situation were making me more crazy, rather than more sane. It was also becoming clear that I was becoming more sane through regular attendance at Al-Anon meetings, reading the literature, listening to others, and talking about my life’s unmanageability. The Al-Anon program was clearly a “power greater than myself”, and through this recognition, I was able to accept Step 2. I could leave the whole “God question” for later."
Old 11-12-2019, 09:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life is good

These are from https://www.todays-hope.com/todays-sharing.html

Today's Sharing from the Forum (family recovery magazine)

I Took A Risk
Just before going to sleep last night I started thinking horrible thoughts. I focused on my inability to find a job. Then I concentrated on being with my husband or not being with him. I criticized myself for being a failure at making friends. My loneliness led me to feel that I am not okay.

This morning the alarm woke me with a start and I crawled out of bed to go for an early morning run. While I was running in the early morning light I heard the first flock of geese heading south for the winter. Just when I started to feel good and I wanted to keep running, I remembered my agenda. I planned to eat right, take a shower, and meditate before sharing a long ride to our Al-Anon writing workshop. I filled my mind with dread about being with people for such a long drive. I imagined they might have all sorts of bad moods. I wondered if there was any point in attending another Al-Anon function while my life remained so unmanageable.

The women in the car turned out to be very considerate and chatty. I identified with almost everything they said, but I avoided talking because I have tendency not to listen. Eventually I admired their courage for speaking out and felt safe enough to join the conversations. I tried to be myself and share, which I did a little, but I really enjoyed listening, too.

Sometimes I wonder if it is healthier to Listen and Learn or to blurt out whatever is on my mind. Taking short timeouts to listen really helps me understand, but I also want to quit censoring myself. I would like experiencing so much doubt, hesitation, and fear. I would also like to learn how to be myself and appreciate others, without criticizing or feeling off balance.

By coming here today for an Al-Anon writing workshop, I took a risk. I got up early went for a run, ate right, made myself presentable, and prayed. Now I am writing my thoughts and feelings because I trust I have something worth saying, that I am a good person and I deserve to be happy. I would really like to just relax and be myself.

by Lisa M.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life is good

The image quote today on this site says (regarding 12 step family recovery program):

"I kept coming back for the serenity and acceptance I felt, & because no one has ever told me what to do. They simply guided me."
Old 12-12-2019, 12:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Can I get an Amen?!

Just to have people walk beside you while you are working on yourself is an amazing thing. God bless!

Originally Posted by Mango212 View Post
The image quote today on this site says (regarding 12 step family recovery program):

"I kept coming back for the serenity and acceptance I felt, & because no one has ever told me what to do. They simply guided me."
Old 12-30-2019, 11:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life is good

Being gentle with myself today.

One day at a time.