Overcoming I-should-be-doing-that

1. Serenity Prayer

2. Replace should with could

3. I'm human

4. Self-care is important

5. Ask for help

6. Let it go - it's okay

7. Say "thank you" for 10 things

20 minutes ago I was having difficulty with this topic -- as I did one thing, I was thinking of other things "I should be doing", and as I started doing one of the other things, my thoughts were again on "I should be doing" something else!! As feeling happy, satisfied and thankful become my default it's easier to be happy, satisfied and thankful -- and easier to notice when harmful thoughts are driving my actions (I'm not enough, I should be doing, etc ).

I am enough. I am doing good healthy things for myself and others. I am allowing balance in my life.

This morning mindfulness practices of being in the moment are difficult for me. I'm appreciating noticing this and taking time for self care. The three A's: awareness, acceptance, action.

There are many ways to change habits and thought patterns. What are some that work for you recently?
Old 11-06-2019, 12:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mango212 View Post
1. Serenity Prayer

2. Replace should with could

3. I'm human

4. Self-care is important

5. Ask for help

6. Let it go - it's okay

7. Say "thank you" for 10 things

20 minutes ago I was having difficulty with this topic -- as I did one thing, I was thinking of other things "I should be doing", and as I started doing one of the other things, my thoughts were again on "I should be doing" something else!! As feeling happy, satisfied and thankful become my default it's easier to be happy, satisfied and thankful -- and easier to notice when harmful thoughts are driving my actions (I'm not enough, I should be doing, etc ).

I am enough. I am doing good healthy things for myself and others. I am allowing balance in my life.

This morning mindfulness practices of being in the moment are difficult for me. I'm appreciating noticing this and taking time for self care. The three A's: awareness, acceptance, action.

There are many ways to change habits and thought patterns. What are some that work for you recently?

Breaking it down into bite size pieces so I'm not overwhelmed. Then sharing how I did something so it's not just my achievement but somebody else's motivation.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life is good

I could be doing something else right now. I'm trusting my gut instincts and taking this day one step at a time.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I loved the 2-Do list idea. I've always done a 3-Do list. If I get off track and do something besides the 3 on my list, I just give myself credit for doing something extra and circle back to the 3 things. In a way it gives me a bit of structure that supports productivity.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life is good

3. I'm human.

Embracing my human-ness today. Alive. Grateful. Appreciating.