SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Quacking.. At least its kina funny.. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/443129-quacking-least-its-kina-funny.html)

Milano58 11-01-2019 08:41 PM

Quacking.. At least its kina funny..

So we've been having some typical normie v addict emails, with me stating an issue an EXAH flipping out completely.

Anyhoo.. We get an email from school about an outbreak of measles and EXAH quacks me... Have I had the kids immunised???? He's called the Dr, Dr said they were all up to date...

HE WAS STILL LIVING WITH US WHEN BOTH KIDS WERE IMMUNISED!!!!!

Quack.. I'm trying to demonstrate that I'm a caring dad but I've totally effin forgotten ex wifey taking kids for shots... For ALL there shots. He's probably forgotten that I made him get a shot too.

Bekindalways 11-01-2019 09:22 PM

Sigh . . . that it is funny is kind of the only saving grace of this characteristic.

Milano58 11-02-2019 01:37 AM

I know.. A friend asked... 'does he know how dumb he just made himself out to be?'

Probably never occurred to him. Honestly think his mind is really going.

FeelingGreat 11-02-2019 04:08 AM

Their memory does start to go eventually, in ways that will surprise you. But I also suspect its a demo of 'caring Dad' because you're so irresponsible, you know?

Eauchiche 11-02-2019 05:10 AM

I remember a quack from my corner too that was interesting.
My ex swore that landlords charge the rent at the END of the month, not on the first.

Bekindalways 11-02-2019 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Eauchiche (Post 7301760)
I remember a quack from my corner too that was interesting.
My ex swore that landlords charge the rent at the END of the month, not on the first.

Wow, that really is a quack!!

At what point does "wet brain" develop and what is it exactly . . . hmm . . . I might as well google it myself.

velma929 11-02-2019 05:48 PM

Eh,my Dad never would have known. Mom took us on our doctor visits.

I live with a guy who has maybe one or two drinks a month. He doesn't remember if he had chicken pox.

Milano58 11-02-2019 11:08 PM

Oh EXAH knew alright. There's one shot kids get and we have to be so careful it doesn't get passed to us via diapers. I just don't think he remembers his sober life.. He's compartmentalised it somehow.

Naturally he's forgotten the last two days or rage emails and he's randomly texting me about something completely different. I miss the days (6 wks ago), when he decided to have absolutely no contact with me!!!

Quack Ping Pong!

dandylion 11-03-2019 05:07 AM

Bekindalways, and Milano...….the following link is to a brain scan showing the physical differences between a chronic alcoholic and a normal non-alcoholic brain...…
Physical "proof" that the brain is very altered in alcoholism...…

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...vt=0&eim=1,2,6

Bekindalways 11-03-2019 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by dandylion (Post 7302388)
Bekindalways, and Milano...….the following link is to a brain scan showing the physical differences between a chronic alcoholic and a normal non-alcoholic brain...…
Physical "proof" that the brain is very altered in alcoholism...…

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...vt=0&eim=1,2,6

Thanks Dandelion. That really is horrifically amazing.

Sasha1972 11-03-2019 08:15 PM

I remember a couple years ago when Kid and I were at summer camp, I got a raging text from ex demanding to know where Kid was because I was supposed to bring her to his apartment for a visit. I responded that we were at the camp, that she had been at his apartment for a visit yesterday, just before we left town for camp, and provided a screenshot of the texts we had exchanged ("on our way now", "okay see you" etc). So not only had he forgotten what day it was, he had also forgotten that he had seen his daughter less than 24 hours previously. And his self-righteous rant at me was right under the texts from the previous day on his phone.

That was when I knew for sure, beyond just wondering, that there was something really cognitively wrong with him.

Milano58 11-03-2019 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Sasha1972 (Post 7302942)
I remember a couple years ago when Kid and I were at summer camp, I got a raging text from ex demanding to know where Kid was because I was supposed to bring her to his apartment for a visit. I responded that we were at the camp, that she had been at his apartment for a visit yesterday, just before we left town for camp, and provided a screenshot of the texts we had exchanged ("on our way now", "okay see you" etc). So not only had he forgotten what day it was, he had also forgotten that he had seen his daughter less than 24 hours previously. And his self-righteous rant at me was right under the texts from the previous day on his phone.

That was when I knew for sure, beyond just wondering, that there was something really cognitively wrong with him.

Ye.. I'm beginning to feel the same. I've noticed a marked change this last month. Sometimes I feel like I'm blowing it out of proportion til I show it to someone... Tick tock.

LLLisa 11-03-2019 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sasha1972 (Post 7302942)
So not only had he forgotten what day it was, he had also forgotten that he had seen his daughter less than 24 hours previously. And his self-righteous rant at me was right under the texts from the previous day on his phone.

Oh yes this is true for me. Part of my problem is that I can easily fall back into old patterns for example, expecting reasonable behavior from unreasonable people. Expecting cognitively "normie" behavior from an alcoholic or addict is not a good idea. They just can't. I still get burnt by my XAH and then have to slap myself.

AutumnMama 11-04-2019 09:43 AM

It really sounds like he is overcompensating in the parenting department. Like he just showed up at a party 3 hours late frantically asking if anyone needed help setting up... lol.

I think wet brain is relatively rare? But the self centered part of alcoholism can make paying attention to anything that doesn't directly involve them pretty difficult. Also... alcohol has a way of making people forget things, lol.

I'm glad you're looking at it with humor!